About the North West apprentice programme
Our apprenticeship scheme offers a unique opportunity to learn and work in a multi-national company alongside industry experts. Many of our apprentices go on to enjoy full- term positions both in their apprenticeship department and other areas of the business. As well as gaining valuable work experience, you will have the opportunity to study towards a professional qualification, depending on your chosen department.
About the programme
Our apprenticeship programme starts annually in September and includes positions in the following areas at our Macclesfield and Speke sites:
- Manufacturing - This 2 year apprenticeship offers plant-based learning with practical, on-the-job training. You will rotate between plants and different products, working alongside industry professionals to gain a broad experience of each department
- Quality Assurance/Control - This 3 year apprenticeship is laboratory-based with a very practical emphasis on drug testing and sampling. Your role will be to ensure the drugs manufactured at the site are safe for consumption and comply with industry standards
- Engineering - During this 4 year course, the first year will be based at a local college to give you the core knowledge of engineering; following college your final two years will be based at the site, working alongside a mentor to ensure plant functionality
- Pharmaceutical Development - This 3 year apprenticeship will see you working alongside leading industry experts in laboratory surroundings to formulate and create life-saving medicines to be distributed around the world
- Sourcing and Supply - Located in the logistics team, you will be working on a 2 year apprenticeship to ensure medicines reach their final destinations both in the UK and abroad, so patients receive the products they need
- Project management - During this 3 year apprenticeship you will work directly with the project management team to help implement change, create new strategies and introduce innovative systems to all areas of UK operations.
All of our apprenticeships are run in partnership with Cogent Skills. To fulfil your potential and create a lasting career, we will help you in any way we can, including:
- Reporting to a supportive line manager and personal mentor
- Giving you the chance to network and socialise
- Professional and in-house training schemes and qualifications
- Being a part of a successful team.
What we're looking for:
- Enthusiastic individuals with a passion to learn
- Two A-levels at grade C or equivalent
- High aspirations and a desire to become part of a world-leading bio-pharmaceutical company
Watch our video
Alix Bennison – Quality Assurance Apprentice
Hi, my name is Alix and I work at AstraZeneca as a Quality Assurance Apprentice.
The department I work in is responsible for testing the quality of products to ensure that they meet the agreed standards before they are suitable for market and customer use. My current responsibilities include recording and storing important samples of medicines until their correct destruction date. I chose an apprenticeship at AstraZeneca as I was unsure of my career path. The programme meant I could get the experience and qualifications most employers look for.
Because my apprenticeship has allowed me to rotate through different areas in Quality Assurance, once I complete the apprenticeship I would like to apply for a permanent job in an area that suits me.