Rotational Associates Programme
Locations: Gaithersburg, Cambridge/Granta Park
Cutting-edge science you won’t find everywhere
At AstraZeneca, our BioPharmaceutical Development (BPD) group’s two-year Rotational Associate Programme enables recent graduates to join us in making a difference to people’s lives every day. As part of one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, we focus on creating novel products that fight disease and transform quality of life.
In BPD, our work focuses on transforming molecules into medicines. This programme provides experience in the development of manufacturing processes and dosage forms for BioPharmaceutical products – everything from molecule discovery to packaging the final product. This is your chance to take this journey with us.
By the end of the program, you will be ready to contribute to our invaluable work and potentially take a permanent position with us.
About the programme
The programme comprises three eight-month rotational assignments across various functions within BPD. Participants work on challenging technical projects supporting the development of protein therapeutics in the areas of Cell Culture and Fermentation, Purification, Analytics and Protein Characterisation, Formulation, Delivery Devices, Clinical Logistics and Manufacturing. You’ll be assigned a manager for each rotation and a mentor to guide your progress and provide support.
Your assignments are designed to help you transition from academia to industry. Each is tailored to enable you to grow and develop by providing you with the technical skills and broad-based drug development understanding you’ll need.
What can you expect?
- A manager for each rotation and a mentor to support you throughout the programme.
- Activities designed to build your network with colleagues on the program and broaden your understanding of BPD.
- Informal learning opportunities such as attendance at company scientific events and educational seminars.
- Opportunities for presentations and developing communication skills.
What you will be doing
Over the course of the program, you will spend eight months in three BPD functional areas. You will work on projects in each area that contribute to the development of our products. Rotations are designed to equip you with an understanding of the part each function plays in the development process so you can play a full part in our work at the end of the program. There is opportunity for full-time positions when the rotation program concludes.
You will receive mentoring and feedback from functional managers over the course of the program, so you’ll be able to identify areas of strength, as well as those you want to further develop.
To be eligible for the program, you’ll need:
- To be a recent BSc or MSc graduate.
- Have no more than two years’ post-graduate work experience.
- To have a background in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, engineering or other related discipline.
- Strong academic performance.
- Strong technical and laboratory skills.
- Strong critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills.
- To show us you have a genuine passion for science and a strong interest in drug development as a career.