Therapeutic Area Lead (Oncology)
Medical & Scientific engagement for internal and external stakeholders
1. To establish AstraZeneca as a scientific leader through proactive, updated and effective Medical input
- Continuously acquire and update necessary scientific knowledge on therapeutic area and relevant compounds.
- Develop and implement the local medical plan to address unmet medical needs in priority disease areas and ensure alignment with the brand plan.
- Collaborate with MSL to seek input from MSL insights for development of local medical plan.
- Develop and implement pre-launch medical plan/activities for new products at least 2 years prior to the planned launch in the country to address key clinical and scientific challenges
- Provide medical leadership on faculty and content development for medical programmes including national congresses, advisory boards, scientific exchange meetings, publications to meet identified needs
- To ensure that the Medical Information provided both to external and internal customers is timely, relevant, accurate and scientifically balanced
- Provide local medical expertise to local area/regional brand teams
- Provide medical input to phase 1 to 4 study protocols, study feasibility and support operational delivery
- Provide Medical expertise to support PSP market research, PASS and ESRO.
2. To engage scientific leaders, professional bodies or societies to establish AZ as a scientific leader
- 40%(+/-) of time in field is required for engagement with the highest priority HCPs and key external stakeholders engagement
- Share emerging data with HCPs, discussing all aspects of the data in a scientific, objective and balanced way
- Disseminate results of studies completed to medical community by translating their clinical values and incorporating into business strategies
- Attend relevant scientific congresses and HCP meetings to gather new knowledge on AZ compounds, competitor information and therapeutic area
- Conduct professional scientific communication or presentation (become chairperson/presenter when necessary) with key opinion leaders (prominent
- Liaise with local investigators and the External Sponsored Research organization to support research initiatives.
- Internally communicate competitive intelligence
3. Generate the medical evidence to support the brand strategies in priority TAs to meet unmet medical needs
- Idea generation of the company sponsored clinical research
- Oversight and accountability of the operation of the studies
- Initiate research discussions, for example NIS, with customers to develop studies that will fulfil global and local business strategies. (May as part of the review team conduct initial assessment of any ISS proposals) Participate as key member of brand team as strategic partner towards LCM actions including potential business development opportunities
- Develop NIS or registry studies to address unmet medical needs.
- Developing partnership with OLs in order to develop their capabilities of conducting medical studies
4. Provide medical expertise to shape regulatory environment to achieve rapid and high quality market access of AZ products including new registration, new product evaluation and life cycle
- Support to develop drug value pack and communicate it to Key Decision Makers
- Support market access activities that shape market understanding of disease, diagnosis and treatment options
- Proactive crossfuctional collaboration with regulatory and other teams in drug registration in earlier and broader accessibility aligned to the brand strategy
5. Defines and delivers training on Medical background of the product for various functions in an organization as required
- Provide effective Medical/clinical trainings (basic science and disease knowledge, drug profile, clinical data) to internal colleagues in line with expressed needs of MSL manager and sales managers
- Ensures own knowledge and knowledge of team members of best practices and new relevant developments is up to date
6. Governance and ensuring overall adherence to processes and regulation (include but not limit to patient safety, clinical trials, promotional activities, etc …)
- Accountable for ensuring Promotional Compliance: Provide medical input to the creation, development and agreement of promotional material and ensure all material is in line with internal SOPs and meets IFPMA code
- If appropriate to market, ensure that Pharmacovigilance activities meet internal SOP and local regulations
- Ensure clinical studies are carried out in accordance with AZ SOPs and cGCP. Support Clinical team to select appropriate investigators and sites optimising quality, delivery and commercial benefit
- Aligns with the values and vision of AZ
- Actively participate/encourage the development of the AZ culture
- Ensures compliance with AZ code of conduct, Corporate Governance, Audits requirement, guidelines, codes, policies and procedures
- Ensures that company confidentiality is maintained (i.e. intellectual property, product, strategic and salary information)
- Discloses potential breach of codes or conducts
- Develop functional capability in the role
- Communicate, develop and role model AZ culture and AZ Values & Behaviours
- Develop individual and team accountability
- Identify areas for self-development and discuss developmental needs with line manager using the 70-20-10 principle (experiential learning, coaching/networking/relationship-based learning and class room training)
- Attend & actively participate in learning programmes, training, projects and meetings (where needed)
Conduct activities and interactions consistent with Company values and in compliance with the Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards relevant to your role. Complete all required training on the AZ Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards on time. Report potential issues of non-compliance.
- Ensure and monitor compliance by team members and third parties by (a) positively reinforcing the Code of Conduct and all relevant AstraZeneca Policies and Standards, (b) ensuring completion of all required training, (c) fostering a culture of openness in which employees are comfortable raising questions or concerns, and (d) immediately addressing and reporting, as appropriate, instances of non-compliance.
- Manager Accountabilities at AstraZeneca include Ethical Conduct and Compliance, Team Management, Performance Management, Individual Development Planning, Talent Management, Recruitment, People information, SHE accountabilities, and Fiscal and Financial awareness.
- A medical degree with specialization, or appropriate experience, in the required product or disease area
- Medical/Scientific knowledge in the responsible disease area
- Interest in a long-term career in the pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent presentation skills
- An ability to travel
- Fluency in English is required
- Qualified Doctor
- MSc/PhD in a scientific discipline
- Understanding of multiple aspects within Medical Affairs
- Knowledge of the latest technical and regulatory developments (essential for Sr MAM)
- Experience of Medical Affairs function within a pharmaceutical industry (essential for Sr MAM)
- Experience in relationship and stakeholder management (essential for senior MA)
- Project management experience
- Team management experience (essential for senior MAM)
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.