Senior Scientist, Immuno-Oncology
Senior Scientist, Immuno-Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist, Immuno-Oncology with scientific and technical expertise in immuno-oncology to join our Clinical Immuno-Oncology Discovery group in Gaithersburg, MD. Within this position, your work will support and advance large molecules in clinical trials. You will develop and lead 3D ex vivo immuno-oncology platforms to assess the function of our candidate drugs and dissect the mechanism of action of novel therapeutics targeting the immune system.
A proven foundation in immunology and/or oncology, and experience evaluating immune cell function are essential for this role. Due to the cross functional nature of this position, we are seeking a highly organized, self-motivated individual with strong collaborative capabilities. The position will work closely with other essential functions within Early Oncology and AstraZeneca to deliver differentiated, groundbreaking platforms to progress drug candidates in the clinic.
Key responsibilities include:
- Independently develop, execute and deliver key datasets critical for the advancement of translational immuno-oncology programs
- Presentation of findings at cross-functional, global teams supporting early and late-stage clinical candidates
- Assist with scientific publications (posters, manuscripts)
- Work well in a highly collaborative environment
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Cancer Biology, or other related scientific disciplines
- Extensive background in immunology and/or immuno-oncology with a strong record of high impact publications
- Experience with a range of in vitro and ex vivo skills in immuno-oncology, including multi-color flow cytometry (FACS), ELISA/multiplex assays, ELISPOT, cell killing assays, tumor processing, tumor cryopreservation, and tumor biobanking modalities
- Experience working with immune cell assays or characterization is highly desirable
- A high level of independence with an ability to develop hypotheses and execute analysis plans for experimental data
- Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations and written/oral communications for a wide audience
Desired Skills and Experience
- Extensive knowledge of and hands-on experience with 3D platforms/models
- Knowledge of spatial omics platforms, such as GeoMx, CosMx, 10x Visium, Xenium, and Chromium
- Knowledge of bulk and single cell RNA sequencing technologies and analysis
- Knowledge of informed consent forms and the basic principles of building a tumor biorepository
About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
The Gaithersburg site (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOvxXGjBd1w) employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg campus offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, game rooms, community garden and much more.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next-
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good! We can’t wait to hear from you!
If you’re curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.
Closing Date: March 9, 2024
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We follow all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.