Head of Transactions - Business Development, Licensing and Strategy
Head of Transactions (HoT), Business Development, Licensing and Strategy (BDL)
Do you have a scientific or clinical background combined with an entrepreneurial attitude and business know-how? Would you like to apply your expertise in a company where we are following the science and turn ideas into life changing medicines? AstraZeneca is seeking a Head of Transactions to join the BDL team within Biopharmaceuticals R&D AstraZeneca.
The position is based at our dynamic R&D site in Boston, Seaport Boulevard, MA. As AstraZeneca continues to put patients at the forefront of our mission, we are excited for our move to Kendall Square/Cambridge, MA in 2026. Find out more information here: Kendall Square Press Release
The Head of Transactions (“HoT”), Business Development, Licensing and Strategy (BDL) at AstraZeneca, leads the team responsible for negotiating licensing, consortia, joint venture, collaboration and other agreements on behalf of AstraZeneca’s Biopharmaceuticals pre-clinical organization[s]. As a part of this, the individual plays a key role in presenting business cases to internal and external C Suite stakeholders and ensuring that value is generated for the organisation through transacting on these opportunities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary point of contact for Biopharmaceuticals for all preclinical collaboration and licensing transactions, leading the negotiation and delivery of all approved business cases
- Lead multi-functional cross-Biopharmaceutical/AZ teams in progressing opportunities team player and communication skills
- Lead development of deal structures and agreement execution, and present to the relevant AstraZeneca governance boards
- Exercise strong judgement and decision-making skills in order to take responsibility both for progressing, closing and terminating transactions.
Required Education and Experience:
- MD or PhD in a scientific discipline
- 10+ years of experience in pharmaceutical Research & Development
- Strong track record having led and transacted a wide range of major and minor agreements end to end; engagement with external parties, assembly of deal terms, negotiation and finalization
- Effective communicator, with the ability to interface with senior leadership and convey compelling arguments and risks
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being daring - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering innovative methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you already inspiring yourself joining our team? Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.