Global Operations: UK Apprenticeship Programme
Locations: Macclesfield, UK
Our apprenticeship programmes have various start dates throughout the year, so be sure to check this page for available opportunities
About the Global Operations: UK Apprenticeship Programme
Our apprenticeship scheme offers a unique opportunity to learn and work in a multi-national company alongside industry experts. Many of our apprentices go on to enjoy full- term positions both in their apprenticeship department and other areas of the business. As well as gaining valuable work experience, you will have the opportunity to study towards a professional qualification, depending on your chosen department.
North East Cheshire Business Awards
Apprentice of the Year 2018: Won by Joe Jackson from AstraZeneca
The ‘Apprentice of the Year' Award is presented to an apprentice who has striven to work and learn at the same time, to achieve great results for both themselves and their employer in the true spirit of apprenticeships.
This award celebrates someone who embraces the spirit of what apprenticeship schemes are all about; learning and working hard to benefit both themselves and their employer.
About the programme
Our apprenticeship programme starts annually in September and could include positions in the following areas at our Macclesfield site:
- Supply Chain – Located within a logistics team you will be working on a 4 year degree level apprenticeship to ensure medicines reach their final destinations both in the UK and abroad. You could be working within Study Management – you will work in a team of Supply Chain Professionals who work in collaboration with customer functions such as Clinical, to influence and manage the demand of drugs for individual Clinical trial studies or Sourcing – you will work in a team responsible for finding and working with external global suppliers who provide a wide range of services, to develop, manufacture, analyse, pack and distribute potential new medicines to clinical trials around the world.
- Manufacturing - This two year apprenticeship offers plant-based learning with practical, on-the-job training. You will rotate between plants and different products, working alongside industry professionals to gain a broad experience of each department.
- Technician Scientist – This three year apprenticeship is laboratory based with a practical emphasis on either Chemical or Biological science. Working within Quality your role will be testing life-saving medicines.
- Laboratory Scientist – These four or five year apprenticeships are laboratory based with a practical emphasis on Chemical Sciences. Working within Pharmaceutical Technology and Development your role will be formulating or testing life-saving medicines.
- Business Development – This four year apprenticeship offers the chance to experience a scientific environment outside of a laboratory providing contracting and administrative support around innovation projects within the Innovation Strategy & External Liaison (ISEL) Group.
- Engineering Maintenance Technician - During this four year course, the first year will be based at a local college to give you the core knowledge of engineering; following college your final three years will be based at site rotating between the various plants and technician roles, working alongside mentors to gain experience and plant knowledge.
- Project Management – This two year apprenticeship as a Project Administrator offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic working environment alongside Project and Change Managers who deliver a wide range of large, complex and novel projects.
To fulfil your potential and create a lasting career, we will help you in any way we can, including:
- Reporting to a supportive line manager and personal mentor
- Giving you the chance to network and socialise
- Professional and in-house training schemes and qualifications
- Being a part of a successful team.
What we're looking for:
- Enthusiastic individuals with a passion to learn
- Please view individual adverts for specific entry requirements
- High aspirations and a desire to become part of a world-leading bio-pharmaceutical company
Watch our video
Alix Bennison – Quality Assurance Apprentice
Hi, my name is Alix and I work at AstraZeneca as a Quality Assurance Apprentice.
The department I work in is responsible for testing the quality of products to ensure that they meet the agreed standards before they are suitable for market and customer use. My current responsibilities include recording and storing important samples of medicines until their correct destruction date. I chose an apprenticeship at AstraZeneca as I was unsure of my career path. The programme meant I could get the experience and qualifications most employers look for.
Because my apprenticeship has allowed me to rotate through different areas in Quality Assurance, once I complete the apprenticeship I would like to apply for a permanent job in an area that suits me.