Senior Counsel, Corporate
AstraZeneca is a science-led, global biopharmaceutical company, with a focused portfolio in core therapies. We are committed to improving the health and lives of people across the globe, through our broad research and development platform, and a growing late-stage pipeline. Working in over 100 countries, we have strength in emerging markets, and our medicines are used by millions of patients and clinicians worldwide.
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
You’re an intellectually curious deal lawyer with experience leading complex transactions involving digital and information technologies. Are you ready to take on a global legal remit with a world-leading biopharmaceutical company, working in a collaborative environment? At AstraZeneca, we’re looking for a Senior Counsel, Corporate in Wilmington, DE or Gaithersburg, MD.
We’re a legal function that values flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to stretch and accept new challenges. We focus on professional and personal development and place a premium on providing lawyers with broad exposure and the opportunity to counsel diverse stakeholders on legal risks.
As a member of the Corporate Legal group, you’ll be part of a team of transaction lawyers, focused on delivering the most important projects for our Business Development, Digital and Global Operations groups. Your work will include supporting critical digital, technology, licensing, JV, collaboration, M&A, and commercial deals for AstraZeneca. We’re looking for a talented, ambitious lawyer to help AstraZeneca become a world leader in oncology, respiratory & immunology and cardiovascular, renal & metabolic diseases. Your specialist expertise will be key to achieving this ambition.
Main duties and responsibilities
You’ll provide legal advice across AstraZeneca’s global organization, working closely with senior leaders. Using your knowledge of digital, IT, commercial and corporate law you will provide drafting, negotiation and business counsel support to key transactions, driving projects to completion and helping to mitigate critical legal and business risks. Your work may involve overseas travel.
The role will see you personally handling complex legal matters, interpreting and drafting contracts, and taking a global perspective. You’ll foster a culture of knowledge-sharing and collaborative working with your counterparts across the Legal function.
- Professional legal qualification
- 5+ years’ experience with complex transactions, including those involving digital and information technologies
- Understanding of legal considerations arising at the intersection of IT and healthcare (including data privacy laws such as GDPR and HIPAA, ownership of data and derived insights)
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Solution and action orientated approach
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage complexity and cultivate innovation
- Demonstrable accountability and integrity
- Ability to act independently and drive projects to completion
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical or healthcare sector
- Experience with general corporate and commercial legal matters, including M&A and licensing transactions
- Understanding of manufacturing and supply chains
- Experience of working in a global legal environment
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.