At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Publications Leader, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Description: The primary responsibility for the Publications Leader is the development of an integrated and strategic US Publication Plan and delivery of the medical, scientific and technical publications included in this plan. The Publications Leader will often manage publication plans and activities for large, complex brands or for multiple brands within a therapy area.
- Leads in the development and definition of a US publication strategy and plan that is consistent with the overall brand medical plan and ensures that the US publication strategy and plan are integrated into and linked with the global product publication strategy and plan and is recognized by the team for contributions to these strategies
- Demonstrates project leadership and uses expertise to develop and implement creative solutions for challenging issues or manages complex publication projects, strategies, and plans (such as multiple products, multiple indications, diverse audiences, or projects requiring advanced integrative skills)
- Exhibits leadership in the delivery of all components of the US Publication Plan to time, quality, and budget with strict adherence to AstraZeneca Publication Policy and Standards
- Ensures that key scientific statements in publications are supported by appropriate data, maximizing the impact and credibility of communications
- Provides leadership of cross-functional Publication Delivery Team charged with delivering the US Publication Plan
- Leads the identification and engagement of publication authors in accordance with ICMJE criteria and works with authors to facilitate planning, development and delivery of publications projects
- Identifies, selects, and manages 3rd-party providers through the effective use of project management skills to ensure the timely delivery of quality documents in strict compliance to AstraZeneca Publication Policy and Standards
- Manages the publication budget. Works closely with the Global Publication Lead to share aspects of US publication planning and delivery in light of global product publication strategy and plan
- Uses expertise in current and emerging clinical communication issues and guidelines to advise the US Medical Team regarding clinical communications issues
- Baccalaureate degree in biomedical discipline or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of the drug development process and human pathophysiology and diseases
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, manifested as the ability to express medical information accurately, clearly, and succinctly
- In‑depth knowledge of, and experience (3-5 yrs) in, the preparation of a wide range of publication types (eg, peer-reviewed journals, scientific meetings and congresses)
- Demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously, including dealing with risk and issue management
- In‑depth knowledge of external publication guidelines and standards
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Advanced biomedical degree or equivalent
- In‑depth experience (5-7 yrs) in publication management
- Demonstrated budget and resource management skills
- Previous experience in multiple TA areas relevant to AstraZeneca portfolio
- Awareness of pharmaceutical business practices
- Knowledge of competitors and competitor products
- Editor in Life Sciences (ELS) or Certified Medical Publication Professional (CMPP) accreditation
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.