Internal Audit Manager- Pharma/Commercial
You’ve worked in a managerial-level role, probably in a Big Four accounting firm or another large global organisation. You have pharma sector and US healthcare market and environment experience. And your business acumen and global outlook mean you could make an exceptional Internal Audit Manager (Commercial) with AstraZeneca, a world-leading pharmaceutical company, in Wilmington.
Internal Audit Service (IAS) provides independent assurance that we’re achieving our objectives effectively and in the right way. Our remit is to provide assurance over compliance, operational and strategic risks and ensure they are being managed effectively. Reporting to the Head of Audit (Commercial), you’ll have real scope to make an impact as our aim is to be a top-performing IAS function.
Main duties and responsibilities
You’ll work closely with the Audit Director Americas based in Wilmington, and with internal teams focusing on a complex portfolio of US commercial audits, working collaboratively with the business throughout the audits to highlight issues and propose solutions. You’ll be required to quickly develop relationships with US management teams and evaluate a range of judgemental issues around risks and controls. There will also be opportunities to work with co-sourced partners on global commercial compliance audits, with a focus on LATAM markets. We’ll also look to you to innovate and drive continuous improvement in our auditing processes, including sharing knowledge with the wider team. Another key focus will be to identify insights and themes to share with the business on the challenges and risks that come from commercialising our portfolio. We’ll expect you to have an appetite to learn and develop, given the range of audit and advisory projects you’ll be involved with.
You’ll have a strong understanding of the US healthcare market and environment, including several of the following areas:
- Role of the government under Affordable Care Act
- National/Local Government programs – Medicare, Medicaid, Part D, DOD, VA
- FDA regulations and Pharma code (e.g. False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback law, etc.)
- Pharma industry Patient Affordability Programs
- Increased pricing pressure and Payer focus on value/price relationship, particularly in Specialty Care
- Market Access via Distributors, Pharmacies, PBMs, Insurers, Payors and Providers
- Field Sales activities interactions with HCPs/HCOs/HCIs
- Key risks such as Anti-Bribery and Corruption, Anti-Trust Risk, Government Price Reporting Risk, Off-Label Communications, Reputational, and Data Privacy (e.g. GDPR -inspired state laws)
Candidate skills and attributes:
- A flexible communication style, able to adjust your approach and influence and constructively challenge others, including in-country senior management teams
- High level of personal integrity, tenacity and independence
- Strong project management skills to multi-task/ manage a portfolio of individual assignments, and co-ordinate and monitor broader programmes
- Ability to work effectively with external co-sourced provider teams
- Ability to work in close proximity of auditees for all commercial audits, including undertaking regular travel domestically and internationally (up to 30% of working days)
- A relevant degree or postgraduate professional qualification (e.g. CPA)
- Fluent business English, including both written and verbal communication.
- Fluency in a relevant second language such as Spanish would be desirable.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.