Head of Logistics, Americas - Global Operations
Head of Logistics, Americas - Global Operations
At AstraZeneca (AZ), we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. With constant new products and launches, there’s never been a better time to join Supply Chain and Logistics and shape our future with a big contribution to life-changing medicines.
The challenge to stay ahead in rapidly changing markets is what keeps us driving forward, as we continuously seek new and better ways to deliver medicines all the way to our patients. Our resilience helps us to thrive as we innovate and evolve. Here we are encouraged to actively participate by sharing ideas and problem solving. United behind a common goal to succeed, we take our collective learnings and work as a team to keep pushing the boundaries of Supply Chain.
If you are driven, take smart risks and are able to act quickly, then this is the place for you!
The Head of Logistics Americas will set the direction and strategic vision for the regional Logistics organization, in collaboration with Global Logistics and the Supply Americas Leadership team, to ensure the success of AstraZeneca's E2E supply chain proficiency. The individual will be responsible for efficient and effective product fulfillment and optimal logistics service for the Americas region, including manufacturing supply sites (US, Biologics, Canada, Latin America and CMOs in the region). This pivotal role will sit on several Regional and Global leadership teams and will report into the Global Head of Logistics.
The preferred location for this position is Wilmington, DE or Gaithersburg, MD.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a Logistics organization delivering over $12 billion in annual net sales. Accountable for overall operational relationship and satisfaction levels with the AZ Marketing Companies (MC), commercial stakeholders across North, Central & South America.
- Direct the negotiation and the control of approximately $100 million annual Distribution budget, including AZ staff & resources, third party contract services for fulfillment and distribution related outsourcing for product. Accountable for relationships, performance levels and compliance of outsourced services.
- Drive the international and domestic transportation and logistical activities of all API, bulk, and finished goods moving through the global supply chain, including import and export from/to international suppliers/customers, internal AZ to AZ material movements and product distribution to customers.
- Ensuring appropriately trained logistics resources with adequate product and process knowledge for execution of GMP/GDP obligations and on-going professional development to maintain proficiency. Ensure global compliance to all regional regulatory & SOX requirements in mitigating risk of supply chain interruptions.
- Direct the development and management of channel strategies and logistics programs to achieve overall AZ business objectives, the distribution of promotional (sample) product, and the distribution of promotional samples annually to AZ's field sales employees and over 500,000 physician offices (US).
- Oversee logistics activities related to Distribution services such as reverse logistics and disposition of all returned products, e-commerce processes as they relate to order fulfilment and customer services, customer and product databases supporting SAP, trading partners, contracts and third party distribution.
- Design & lead the implementation of a global program for the logistics function across the entire AZ network, e.g. People strategy, Freight strategy or Digital strategy.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Engineering, Statistics, Logistics, Management Science or other relevant discipline. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ten (10) plus years in a pharmaceutical or customer products service oriented logistics position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of wholesale, retail, and hospital industry practices including buying organizations, contracting, and reimbursement issues.
- Detailed understanding of cross-functional Order-to-Cash processes.
- Knowledge of fulfillment and transportation practices pertaining to trade, sample, patient assistance products and import/export.
- Knowledge of life sciences pharmaceutical manufacturing, packaging, and warehousing operations strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory guidelines for pharmaceutical import/export, manufacture and distribution in North and Latin America.
- Ability to both manage and work collaboratively with others to achieve desired business results.
- Strong Leadership/interpersonal influencing and communication skills.
- Information technology integration as it supports/impacts business processes. Prior experiences with ERP, Advanced Planning, Trade Management or Transport Management systems desirable.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Find out more on Social Media:
About Operations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gak5Ham8oUw
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.