Senior Data Scientist (perm/secondment)
The Data Infrastructure and Tools function in Data Science and AI leads data infrastructure and tools build & maintenance for R&D, partnering closely with Science IT. This includes establishing and running large scale data management and analytics environments driven by programmes such as Science Data Foundation.
The Data Automation and Tools Team in Data Infrastructure and Tools provides innovative solutions to informatics and data management challenges in R&D, including establishing support for new data types, and new ways of managing and integrating data, enhancing our effective use and re-use of our data to support R&D goals
The Senior Data Scientist:
- Analyses information to determine project requirements from an informatics, data science and/or data management perspective.
- Applies a range of informatics and data management methodologies to support R&D, scientific and medical professionals to resolve specific business problems.
- Works in partnership with local and global customers to advise on information exploitation including integration, processes and innovative technologies, essential for decision-making.
Provides solutions to a variety of informatics, data science and data management problems of moderate scope and complexity, including process definition and automation (where possible).
- Responsible for timely delivery of key informatics and/or data management activities in agreed projects
- Design and support the conceptualisation of innovative information solutions to enable clinical trials to optimally utilise relevant data and support business decisions.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within DS&AI, wider R&D and R&D IT to deliver scientific information platforms, database systems, processes, tools and techniques to solve scientific problems
- Build knowledge and expertise of the pharmaceutical industry and trends to promote optimised utilisation of data, information and knowledge, proposing appropriate training courses for personal development.
- Proactively engages in knowledge sharing and peer support to build R&D knowledge and expertise in the data, tools (including statistical and machine learning techniques, programming and process automation as appropriate) and techniques critical to Informatics and Data Management
- Works within established frameworks to deliver a variety of tasks according to quality guidelines, that support projects in meeting their objectives.
- BSc in a Life Science, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Disease/therapy area and/or biological sciences domain knowledge
- Up-to-date with modern analysis tools and techniques
- Working knowledge of research and/or clinically relevant public and commercial data assets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with others to achieve objectives
- Practical experience with technical computer skills: scripting (e.g. Unix, Perl, Python, SQL); application languages (e.g. C/C++, C#, Java, R/Matlab/SAS/S+);
- MSc or PhD in a Life Science or Computer Science preferred
- Experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of working in iterative (agile) tool development projects.
- Experience of data visualisation techniques
- Experience of data management platforms (RDBMS*, Graph and semantic web)
* Relational DataBase Management System
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.