High Performance Computing (HPC) Engineer
We are looking for a highly motivated, self-driven and independently working Scientific Computing engineer to join our global team. If you combine a DevOps way of working with a strong enterprise ready service mindset, problem solving, excitement for technology and interest in accelerating science, then you are in good company.
In your role you will be engaged in a variety of activity stretching from daily operations and development, exciting technology exploration and strategic project delivery. You will be owning parts of the platform, drive its operational excellence, prioritise the development backlog and shape the roadmap. Whether your interest is more operations or development focused, classical HPC or cloud computing, in hardware or applications, our team is operating the whole stack. Everyone on the team takes responsibility for our success.
Based in one of AstraZeneca’s global technology centres, you are surrounded by our best engineering teams and will be able to develop and leverage a wide network. This will allow you to contribute efficiently to the scientific computing to our global science community, ensuring that we deliver technology on highest standards to enable and push their work to the next level.
We are operating the SCP as a single global team with shared responsibilities. You will be joining an agile and enthusiastic group of technologists who share excitement for High-Performance & Big Compute, modern technology stacks and their application in science to change the life of patients. To us, teammates are people who have humility, feel accountable for their work (and their teams), as well as the ability and willingness to be a leader of something.
Living and breathing technology is a key factor to enable us to keep pace with the life changing ideas of AstraZeneca’s scientists.
At AstraZeneca we are treating Scientific Computing as a strategic asset underpinning our advances in science. Leading-edge research strategies critically depend on best in class Computing capabilities and enthusiastic engineering teams supporting them.
The Scientific Computing Platform is AstraZeneca’s state-of-the-art computing environment to tackle todays and tomorrows in-silico challenges. It strongly focuses on a platform concept, building capabilities and services around central building blocks. At its heart it uses 3 compute environments, a classical InfiniBand/Slurm HPC cluster, an Openstack private cloud as well as various public cloud for elasticity and scale. To exploit these resource pools most efficiently, the SCP is deploying strong DevOps tooling and cloud native technologies. It aims to adjust and adapt according to changing requirements and follow the science.
The engineers and architects in the SCP team are key to continuously deliver and support this critical capability.
Desired Skills & Background & Experience
- Evidence of hands-on experience operating, architecting or engineering large-scale computing environments, such as HPC, HTC or BC, preferably Life Sciences (e.g. Pharmaceutical Industry, BioTech)
- Hands-on experience working in a DevOps teams and using agile methodologies
- Providing scientific software support for end-users: configuring, installing, tuning and maintaining such software
- Demonstrated experience of using configuration management (e.g. ansible, salt, puppet) and technology frameworks (e.g. easybuild) in IT operations
- Scripting and tool development for HPC & DevOps style platform operations using bash and Python
- Operation and configuration of public cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP) is a plus
- Managing a virtualized private cloud environment (e.g. OpenStack) is a plus
- Container technology (e.g. LXD, Singularity, Kubernetes) is a plus
- Demonstrated development experience with a variety of programming languages, tools and technologies (Java/C++, Python/Ruby/Perl, SQL, AWS) is a plus
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computational, Physical or Biological Science, Engineering or equivalent area is a plus
- Overall 5 Years of experience
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. AstraZeneca is one of only a handful of pure-play biopharmaceutical companies to span the entire value chain of a medicine from discovery, early- and late-stage development to manufacturing and distribution, and the global commercialization of primary care, specialty care-led and specialty care medicines that transform lives.
Our primary focus is on three key areas of healthcare: Cardiovascular and Metabolic disease (CVMD); Oncology; and Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity (RIA). We are also active in the Infection, Neuroscience and Gastrointestinal (ING) disease areas.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.