Senior Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology, Oncology Research
Senior Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology, Oncology Research
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers.
We are seeking a highly motivated and independent Senior Scientist in cancer pharmacology with a track record of scientific excellence in the area of in vivo cancer modelling, to join our team in Waltham, MA USA. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on delivering all aspects of in vivo pharmacology support. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on the drug discovery process and pipeline.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in this laboratory-based position within Oncology Research you will develop, design, conduct and analyze in vivo experiments to assess the function of our candidate oncology drugs and dissect the mechanism of action of novel cancer therapeutics. You will be expected to support cross-functional teams and work collaboratively with project leaders to ensure the timely generation and dissemination of critical program data, and contribute to scientific publication goals. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong background in laboratory science you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor biology, pharmacology and cancer modeling and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
- B.S, in Biology, Pharmacology or other related scientific discipline with 7+ yrs. relevant scientific experience; M.S. – 3-5+ yrs. MS desired but not required.
- Experience developing and working with complex in vivo models of cancer, such as cell line derived xenograft (solid and hematological tumors) patient derived xenograft (PDX), syngeneic and autochthonous mouse models.
- Proficient at conventional routes of dosing administration including but not limited to intravenous, intraperitoneal, and oral gavage.
- Experience delivering in vivo pharmacology studies in mouse tumor models, including dose-finding tolerability studies, PK/PD and efficacy studies.
- Experience with a range of in vitro skills, e.g. cell culture, molecular biology, immunoblotting, flow cytometry and ELISA.
- Works independently, assesses and reports data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
- Maintains a well-developed understanding of approaches to drug discovery and applies a broader functional knowledge of the procedures used by diverse project groups to support the department where needed.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills together with evidence of delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience preferred but not essential.
- Experience with orthotopic xenograft and humanized models of cancer.
- Experience using biologics including, peptides, antibodies, and antibody-drug conjugates.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry drug discovery process.
About the Waltham Site
Our Waltham, Massachusetts facility develops life changing small-molecule research in North America, with innovative laboratories at the Gatehouse Park BioHub, just west of the city center. Our BioHub facility, is a bold new R&D initiative, which fosters life science discoveries and the exchange of ideas. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration. With a shuttle bus to and from Alewife station, the location provides you the ability to work in the heart of one of the world’s most vibrant research centers.
Our Waltham site offers a variety of amenities to help book productivity and help keep our employees happy and engaged. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams and the greater research community.
So, what’s next?
If you’re curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.
Closing Date: April 14, 2023
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We align with all applicable laws and regulations on inclusivity in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.