Senior Scientist, Early Oncology Chemistry
Senior Scientist, Early Oncology Chemistry
Location: Waltham, MA
What is Happening at AstraZeneca
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. We turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being ambitious, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
About AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and start-ups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Recent years have seen rapid advances in the field of Antibody Drug Conjugates. Building on the success of Enhertu, AstraZeneca is determined to become a world leader in this key area of oncology. To succeed in this vision, AstraZeneca is seeking experienced chemists for our Tumour Targeted Delivery chemistry group. Based at AstraZeneca's Waltham laboratories in Massachusetts. You will be an integral part of the medicinal chemistry group leading a small team working on the rational design of the payloads linkers and conjugation technology for the next generation of ADCs.
- Works in a team on the rational design of drug-linkers and conjugation technology for our next generation of ADCs. Provides experienced technical input to expand the role of ADCs beyond classical cytotoxic payloads
- Assists in the implementation of new methodology and technology related to own area of expertise, including training of staff
- May develop proposals to improve ADC designs or provide expert technical direction and problem solving into drug, science and technology projects
- Works across regions and skill groups within and outside of own function
- Impacts on the Therapeutic Area globally by advising others including senior management on project related issues such as design, progress, priorities and resourcing as well as on future strategies
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of technical advances in broad area of expertise to potentially benefit or science and therapeutics
- Communicates scientific and technological developments within assigned area to colleagues at AstraZeneca, with the purpose of increasing general level of competence and industry awareness
- Ensures work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- PhD in Chemistry with Post Doctoral experience
- Significant experience in synthetic organic/medicinal chemistry
- Theoretical knowledge and long term experience of relevant techniques and technologies
- Understanding of the process of successful drug discovery/drug development
- Line management experience
- Previous experience in the field of ADCs
- Understanding of patent and IP strategies
At AstraZeneca, any opportunity can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial, finding those moments, and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, ground-breaking innovative methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
If you’re curious to know more, please don't hesitate to submit an application!
Closing Date: June 18th, 2022
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Once completed AZ will automatically receive your results - pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.