Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics, Oncology
Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics, Oncology
(Waltham, MA, USA or Cambridge, UK)
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Senior Scientist, NGS Informatics, Oncology in Waltham, MA, USA you will play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
There is an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated bioinformatician, eager to bring NGS data together in new ways, to join the group as a Sr. Scientist. This roll:
• Manages, analyses, and deliver sequencing data (NGS).
• Develops, tests, and supports data analysis tools and pipelines.
• Ensure proper automation of data analysis.
• Build scalable (Cloud and HPC) solutions that work on tens of thousands of CPUs.
• Validate the quality of the datasets using various tools to assess the correctness of the results.
• Troubleshoot data quality issues by collaborating with Lab and other personnel.
• Assists with developing requirements for internal software development.
• Build and maintain high level of experience with team's software and IT technologies.
• Work collaboratively with scientists and outside collaborators to cultivate, process, and analyze genomic information
• Develop and maintain a in depth understanding of the scientific and technological domains supported by the NGS Informatics team.
• Design and apply innovative computational/statistical algorithms and visualizations to: Generate actionable biological insight from genomic data.
• Build and steer further development of small prototype tools for bench scientists to access and visualize genomic data. Finally, you will collaborate with industry and academia, and exploit external resources, to find the most effective solutions to problems.
• Relevant graduate degree:
Bioinformatics / Computational biology
Computer Science / Engineering
Biostatistics, Mathematical modeling and human disease
• Minimum of 5 years of applied experience in genomics / bioinformatics Sequencing data analysis
• Solid programming skills, Python preferred
• Experience in software development best practices
• Experience in Unix, SQL databases, REST APIs, Cloud computing (AWS), and HPC
• Well networked within external bioinformatics and NGS communities.
• An understanding of the contribution of bioinformatics to drug discovery.
• Awareness of machine learning, graph modeling, Bayesian analytics or other non-traditional approaches to model biological data.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.