Senior Director of Search & Evaluation, Oncology R&D, BD
Senior Director, Search and Evaluation Oncology
Flexible Location: Boston, MA, Gaithersburg, MD (US) or London, UK
Do you want to be at the cutting edge of innovation that will lead to a cure for cancer? At AstraZeneca, our team is working to make this a reality by bringing together our world-leading oncology pipeline with emerging innovations and technologies.
We are seeking a scientifically minded leader who is passionate about innovation in Oncology to join AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D Search and Evaluation group. AstraZeneca has grown to be a leader in Oncology through bold decisions in both our internal pipeline as well as business development. We aim to expand our leadership by leveraging external innovation and building strong scientific networks.
The SeniorDirector of Search & Evaluation, Global Business Development & Licensing, Oncology R&D, is a senior role in the Oncology R&D Strategy, Business Development & Licensing organization at AstraZeneca. In this role, you will support global business development and licensing initiatives and has a direct impact on the success of the Oncology R&D strategy and portfolio. The S&E group is responsible for proactively scouting external innovation to augment AstraZeneca Discovery, Early and Late Oncology R&D. By assembling teams of internal specialists, you will conduct due diligence activities that ensure an understanding of investment opportunities.
By effectively synthesizing and communicating the merits of potential investment opportunities, you will enable enterprise decision-making to ensure that Oncology R&D science, capabilities and project portfolio are fit for future challenges and opportunities.
The successful candidate will have a strong R&D scientific and clinical background, proven project and people leadership, business and strategic acuity and interpersonal skills. In addition, the ability to engage and collaborate across organizational boundaries with an entrepreneurial demeanor by acting with urgency and agility.
- Serving as the primary point, the search and evaluation of external in-licensing opportunities emanating from academia, VC, biotech and peer-pharma including early research projects, new modality platforms, clinical stage candidates and Life Cycle Management opportunities for our pipeline assets and franchises that can improve the scientific credibility of AZ’s Oncology R&D portfolio.
- Establishing and leading Due Diligence teams and processes (for preclinical and early clinical assets) to drive detailed scientific evaluation of assets and deliver recommendations to governance bodies including the Senior Executive Management Team.
- Providing evaluation input and support for mid to late clinical Due Diligence assessments stage (with ongoing studies capable of achieving registration) when led from within the Business Development Operations DD team.
- Serves as the point of contact with the external partner throughout the deal process including during submission and negotiation of non-binding term sheet (NBTS) through to deal execution.
- Works collaboratively with the Transactional lead within the Oncology BD team during negotiation of any NBTS or definitive agreement.
- Serving as the internal lead in both preparation and presentation of business case and other materials for senior management briefings with support from the R&D or BDO Transactions lead for transactional items.
- Representing Oncology R&D’s critical initiatives and business priorities with senior management of the external life sciences community.
- Best represents AstraZeneca’s scientific excellence through a deep understanding of the portfolio and ensures AZ is considered partner of choice.
- Specialist in industry trends in oncology including awareness of competitor datasets in AZ areas of strategic focus.
- Bachelor’s degree with 8 plus years of experience in evaluating opportunities OR
- Master’s degree with 6 plus years of experience OR
- PhD degree with 3 plus years of experience
- PhD, M.D., or M.D./PhD in oncology or a related scientific field
- Deal experience and solid foundation of generally accepted BD practices.
- Strong scientific reputation in drug discovery and development.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams.
- History of building internal/external relationships, demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Extensive experience in pharmaceutical R&D, demonstrating international experience in multiple cultures and drug discovery / clinical environments.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There is no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next?
A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take calculated risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and passionate about the possibilities, then we are keen to hear from you!
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.