Director of Search & Evaluation, Oncology R&D
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
The Director of Search & Evaluation, Global Business Development & Licensing, Oncology R&D, is a senior role in the Oncology R&D, Business Development & Licensing organization at AstraZeneca, where the role holder supports global business development and licensing initiatives and has a direct impact on the success of the Oncology R&D strategy and portfolio. The Search and Evaluation (S&E) group is responsible for proactively scouting external innovation to augment AstraZeneca Discovery, Early and Late Oncology R&D. By assembling teams of internal specialists, the candidate selected will conduct due diligence activities that ensure an understanding of investment opportunities.
By effectively synthesizing and communicating the merits of potential investment opportunities, the role holder will enable enterprise decision-making to ensure that Oncology R&D science, capabilities and project portfolio are fit for future challenges and opportunities.
The successful candidate will have a strong R&D scientific and clinical background, proven project and people leadership, business and strategic acuity and interpersonal skills. In addition, the ability to engage and collaborate across organizational boundaries with an entrepreneurial demeanor by acting with urgency and agility.
- Serving as the primary point, The Search and Evaluation of external in-licensing opportunities emanating from academia, VC, biotech and peer-pharma including early research projects, new modality platforms, clinical stage candidates and Life Cycle Management (LCM) opportunities for our pipeline assets and franchises that can improve the scientific credibility of AZ’s Oncology R&D portfolio.
- Establishing and leading Due Diligence teams and processes (for preclinical and early clinical assets) to drive detailed scientific evaluation of assets and deliver recommendations to governance bodies including the Senior Executive Management Team (SET).
- Providing evaluation input and support for mid to late clinical Due Diligence assessments stage (with ongoing studies capable of achieving registration) when led from within the Business Development Operations (BDO) DD team.
- Serves as the point of contact with the external partner throughout the deal process including during submission and negotiation of non-binding term sheet (NBTS) through to deal execution.
- Works collaboratively with the Transactional lead within the Oncology BD team (or BDO as appropriate) during negotiation of any NBTS or definitive agreement.
- Serving as the internal lead in both preparation and presentation of business case and other materials for senior management briefings with support from the R&D or BDO Transactions lead (as appropriate) for transactional items.
- Representing Oncology R&D’s critical initiatives and business priorities with senior management of the external life sciences community.
- Best represents AstraZeneca’s scientific excellence through a deep understanding of the portfolio and ensures AZ is considered partner of choice.
- Specialist in industry trends in oncology including awareness of competitor datasets in AZ areas of strategic focus.
- Bachelor’s degree with 8 plus years of experience, Master’s degree with 6 plus years of experience, or PhD degree with 3 plus years of experience
- PhD, M.D., or M.D./PhD in oncology or a related scientific field (e.g. biology, chemistry, pharmacology).
- Deal experience and solid foundation of generally accepted BD practices.
- Strong scientific reputation in drug discovery and development.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams.
- History of building internal/external relationships, demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Extensive experience in pharmaceutical R&D, demonstrating international experience in multiple cultures and drug discovery / clinical environments.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
This role can sit at our Gaithersburg, MD; New York, NY; or Waltham, MA location
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.