Associate Principal Bioinformatician – Proteomics
Associate Principal Bioinformatician – Proteomics
At AstraZeneca, innovation is more than just research. As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, we’re focused on developing medicines that make a real difference in patient care. This is a place with an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture, where you’ll feel valued, energised and rewarded for your ideas and contributions. A place where talented people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions towards scientific and commercial excellence.
Are you a quantitatively-minded scientist looking for an exciting new challenge? Then why not join our Quantitative Biology team in Waltham (US) and apply bioinformatics and computational solutions to help us evolve and extend our proteomics capabilities in our drive to find medicines of the future. We are further investing in capabilities in multi-omics (e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics) and you will join a multi-disciplinary team of data scientists with the purpose of providing quantitative insights into biology for discovery of new therapies. We do so by improving the biological understanding of the target and its engagement, including supporting the identification of molecular mechanisms of action, and understanding protein stability mechanisms as a means for new therapeutic small molecules. Our quantitative department is committed to enhance AstraZeneca’s ability to prioritize target selection and portfolio projects based on probability of technical success.
In our department we have several roles for our proteomics build that require individuals passionate about development and delivery of software solutions for data management, pipelines and processing through to data analysis and interpretation. These individuals will play a key role in supporting, driving and evolving our proteomics capabilities (thermal profiling, chemical proteomics, labelled and free labelled mass spectrometry) and projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing software solutions for quantitative mass spectrometry (label free & labelled MS : iTRAQ, TMT, Silac) that streamline the DDA (Data dependent Acquisition) analysis.
- Coordinate and take on responsibilities for our global Mass spectrometry analytical solutions in a context of a multi-omics effort.
- Leveraging searching engines such as Mascot, SEQUEST, X!Tandem, Andromeda and/or a combination of them into automated workflow that empower data scientists to store, query and re-process data on demand.
- Assess and integrate new methods and algorithms for proteomic data processing and analysis.
- Collaborate with fellow bioinformaticians, statisticians, biologists, and clinicians to identify critical questions that may be addressed using proteomic datasets.
- Apply statistical and machine learning solutions on spectral data to facilitate novel protein identification and increasing the quantification high throughput.
- Responsible for maintaining the MS processing workflow, keeping it up to date and well documented as well as training staff to use the developed tools.
- Understanding quantitative multiplexed proteomics and chemo-proteomics workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data acquisition, processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools.
- Contribute to local and global data management processes and solutions for capturing and exploiting proteomics and other high-dimensional data types such as Transcriptomics and Genomics.
- Collaborating effectively with experimentalists, bioinformaticians, statisticians and other data scientists to design and deliver robust and impactful proteomics studies, via data processing, analysis and interpretation.
- Ensuring that software, processes and results are scientifically robust, efficient and well documented.
- A minimum of 4 years industry experience as data analyst in Mass Spectrometry, in addition to post-doc experience in either academic, institutional or industrial setting.
- PhD, or equivalent, in bioinformatics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, engineering or the life sciences.
- Demonstrable experience in the core competency areas: Mass-spectrometry based proteomics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics), data management and visualisation.
- Experience in other molecular profiling technologies (e.g. NGS) or multi-omics would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix and cloud computing are required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Basic understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, and human physiology
- Ability to actively contribute scientifically to drug discovery research programs, including identification and validation of novel targets.
- Experience in drug discovery and/or development.
- Ability to represent teams and communicate goals/deliverables to scientific stakeholders, senior management and/or governance committees
- Prior experience either working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations.
- Experience in mentoring and/or leading PhD level and non-PhD level scientists.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.