Associate Director/Publications Lead, Scientific Publications
Associate Director Scientific Publications, ORD
Do you have a background in publications within the scientific community? Do you enjoy critically analyzing and synthesizing information to help deliver key messages? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the publications in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, collaborative, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Within our Oncology R&D business area, our Scientific Publications team helps ensure our AstraZeneca oncology publications have been appropriately developed, include impactful content and are appropriate for external dissemination. We collaborate closely with our Corporate Affairs business as well as other internal communication colleagues to streamline our joint efforts in elevating exciting new scientific findings. Lastly, we pay close attention to highly strategic publications that align with our Oncology strategy to ensure teams are up-to-date with the latest new developments in this space.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In this role, you will oversee the development, management, and execution of strategic publication plans and high-quality reviews and clinical publications for investigational pipeline products in oncology. As a Publications team, we will have the opportunity to collaborate cross-functionally and ensure publication plans of external communications are aligned. The Publication Lead has the task of ensuring these partnerships are successful and that plans represent transparent and balanced communication.
SOME OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Leads the publication development process to deliver high-quality publications, leading cross-functional teams, effectively collaborating with partners, and ensuring compliance with internal and external publication guidelines.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to deliver publication plans that are aligned with project strategy; serves as key contact for all publication-related activities for assigned programs.
- Develops and ensures that strategically aligned scientific communication points are delivered and that statements and conclusions in publications are accurate and supported by appropriate data.
- Uses subject matter expertise to provide publications insight to partners and collaborators; provide on-site support at key scientific congresses and meetings.
- Ensures the high quality and clarity of publications by maintaining/promoting familiarity with ICMJE, GPP3, CONSORT, AMA, and other external standards and internal policy.
ESSENTIAL FOR THE ROLE
Education / Experience:
- PhD, PharmD, MD or advanced scientific degree in a biomedical field with scientific and/or publications record
- 3 - 5+ years of experience in medical communications/publications in pharmaceutical/biotech industry, CRO, publishing, or academic with equivalent work experience required
- Ability to effectively handle multiple stakeholders and projects within budget and matrix environment.
- Familiar with overall drug development process, including stages of development and role of different functional areas
- Detailed working knowledge and understanding of publication strategy and planning
- Previous experience with management of contract resources/vendors
- Knowledge/Understanding of GPP3, ICMJE, AMA, and other publication standards
- Demonstrates flexibility and ability to prioritize while supporting multiple projects, dealing effectively with change and ambiguity
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with external experts, investigators, journal editors, publishers
- Strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills; ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and decision-making
- Solid understanding of electronic publication system and proficiency in MS Office application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required
Desirable Skills and Experience
- AMWA, BELS, and/or ISMPP (CMPP) certification
- Background in biologics and/or previous experience in oncology products
- Previous experience writing and editing peer-reviewed clinical publications highly desirable
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE:
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.