Associate Director/Director of DMPK
Associate Director/Director of DMPK
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical company driven by what science can do. We are dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. The vision of AstraZeneca Oncology is to redefine cancer, redefine our solutions to cancer, and restore patients' lives. To achieve this, we have an exciting and diverse portfolio combining agents targeting tumor cell drivers/dependencies and the tumor microenvironment and immune response.
Oncology DMPK has accountability for all non-clinical DMPK in AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D portfolio from early discovery through to launch and life cycle management. We are looking for a senior leader who has a passion for and expertise in DMPK science, applied to Cancer biology, with experience of working in both drug discovery and development.
As the Associate Director/Director of DMPK, you will lead a team of ~10-12 senior and junior individuals including DMPK Discovery and Development project leaders, non-clinical PKPD modellers and laboratory-based experimentalists. This Boston based team works as an integral part of the Global Oncology DMPK Department reporting to the Global Head of Oncology DMPK and supports the Oncology Discovery and Development portfolio. Together with partner functions, this team drives design strategies towards an optimal clinical candidate and builds a translational PKPD understanding from non-clinical models, leading to a prediction of clinical pharmacokinetics, efficacious and tolerable dose/schedules and drug-drug interaction profile. In drug development there is a continued development of non-clinical PKPD understanding to enable clinical evaluation; prioritisation of dose, schedules and combinations; identify risks in patient populations; inform product labelling and ultimately support launching clinically meaningful drugs to patients. The Associate Director/Director will have an expert and broad DMPK knowledge and provide overall functional input into project teams. The individual will be an internationally recognised expert in DMPK with a strong scientific reputation and publication record, with great leadership qualities and a track record of delivery in Drug Discovery and Development.
The role holder will:
- Line manage a range of senior and junior colleagues who are accountable for providing high quality, impactful DMPK insight and data including Discovery and Development project representatives, PKPD modellers and experimentalists providing metabolite identification and PK-PD bioanalysis.
- Act as a DMPK functional leader for Oncology projects from discovery through development to life cycle management.
- Be part of the Oncology DMPK leadership team ensuring that state of the art DMPK science is applied broadly and consistently across drug discovery and development to support compound design and project progression.
- Be part of the Global Oncology Discovery Leadership team responsible for the delivery and scientific support of the Oncology Discovery small molecule portfolio
- Be part of the local AZ Boston Leadership team representing DMPK capability and contributing to the leadership of the AZ community on site.
- Possesses specialist knowledge in the DMPK area and is seen as a source of reference. Recognised as an DMPK expert via, a strong publication record, providing solutions that are highly innovative to tasks on difficult drug projects and unusually scientific complex problem. Will lead projects and be responsible for training and developing others. Contributes to business development and will influence strategic direction.
- May also act as a DMPK project leader for Oncology Discovery and/or Development Projects.
- Lead global teams and work streams related to DMPK sciences across the 3 main AZ therapy areas.
Reports To (globally):
Global Head of Oncology DMPK
- Deliver the preclinical and translational DMPK work package in projects from target validation/lead identification to launch and life cycle management.
- Design preclinical studies and report results to Discovery project teams to evaluate and optimise series and compounds towards a selected candidate with acceptable predicted clinical PK properties and drug-drug interaction profile.
- Provide expert technical direction, challenge and problem solving in projects.
- Contribute to and review the non-clinical DMPK part of regulatory documents (e.g. IND, IMPD, IB, NDA)
- Work collaboratively with other scientists including Clinical pharmacologists, bioscientists and translational scientists to ensure an adequate forward and back translation of PK, PKPD data and models.
- Publish peer reviewed papers and reviews in internationally recognised journals.
- Provide disciplinary scientific leadership, line management, coaching and mentorship for less experienced scientists.
- Identify leading improvements in science and technologies that can be successfully applied to a highly competitive drug discovery or development process that contributes to achievement of Business goals.
- Recommend, gain commitment to, initiate, lead and champion new science and technology initiatives to improve DMPK science capability to deliver Oncology projects.
- Lead scientific discipline networks and act as a focus for debate within the AstraZeneca science community
- Supervise student and Post Doc programmes.
- Lead external collaborative projects with academic or cross-pharma pre-competitive groups
- Ensure compliance with corporate code of conduct guidance, best practice SHE and AstraZeneca Good Laboratory Standards.
- Candidate would have a Ph. D. or equivalent in relevant scientific discipline, pharmacology, pharmaceutical sciences, with several years of relevant experience in drug discovery and development.
- The individual should possess at least 10 years of relevant experience in DMPK with several years of experience as a line manager in Oncology drug discovery and development.
- Extensive experience of drug discovery and development projects including experience as core team member and good understanding of other disciplines
- The person should have an international reputation within a DMPK related discipline and will be routinely publishing and presenting in external fora.
- Next Steps – Apply today!
- To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.