Assoc Dir/Dir Early Clinical Development Physician, Oncology R&D - PI
At AstraZeneca we are building upon our strong Oncology platform to bring solutions to patients. We have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s outstanding biopharmaceutical companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. As Associate Director / Director, Clinical Development – Oncology R&D, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities and have a positive impact on changing patients’ lives!
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular and metabolic disease. We offer an outstanding and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore alliances between small and large molecules.
We have a rare opportunity to join AstraZeneca at a time of tremendous growth and acceleration in the oncology biologics portfolio. This is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment where, with growing levels of responsibility. You will be responsible for:
- medical monitoring of ongoing clinical trials.
- the planning and conduct of clinical trials.
- providing long-range clinical development planning, planning and managing of clinical research projects and clinical development programs in oncology.
- collaborating with and providing clinical input and expertise to pre-clinical and translational sciences, and setting and achieving goals and meeting timelines.
- serve as the project Medical Monitor while working in a cross functional environment with representatives from other involved line functions as well as Late-Stage Development.
- contribute to and support Department/Clinical initiatives to improve the quality and content of all clinical programs as well as the cross functional/organization processes designed to effectively deliver our R&D portfolio.
You are a well-trained clinician with strong leadership skills who is driven by science and the desire to develop novel immuno-oncology therapies for cancer patients. Additionally, you have a clear understanding of the drug development process (especially early phase clinical trials), protocol writing & study conduct, data review and reconciliation, the principles of translational medicine, and what it takes to lead teams successfully. This position can be located in either the Cambridge, UK, Waltham, US or Gaithersburg, US.
Specific duties and major responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as medical monitor with primary responsibility for patient safety and conduct of assigned trials as well as overall data interpretation and safety surveillance;
- Establish and approve scientific methods for design and implementation of applicable clinical protocols, data collection systems, and final reports;
- Responsible for assisting in design of clinical development plans and overall strategy for compounds, therapeutic classes of compounds or indications in light of developments in the area of clinical and pharmaceutical oncology;
- Collaborate with pre-clinical and translational sciences, and senior management in assessing requirements for emerging products; Provide leadership on cross-functional product development team(s) as experience allows;
- Participate in identification, selection and conduct of negotiations with clinical research centers and investigators;
- Participate in the selection and management activities of CROs; Supervise project team members in planning, conducting and evaluating clinical trials;
- Lead all aspects of planning and management of investigator meetings, advisory boards and other scientific committees.
Education & experience:
MD or equivalent required; ideally board certified (or eligible) preferred in Oncology or Hematology. At least several years of experience in clinical research and/or oncology drug development in pharmaceutical or CRO environment.
- Experience in molecular oncology and/or translational science
- Medical specialty and sub-specialty training and Board Certification
- Excellent oral and written skills, strong interpersonal and listening skills
- Results driven to achieve creative and sound outcomes
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to make sound and timely decisions; agile in learning and proactive in your approach
- High level of emotional intelligence; able to deal with ambiguity
- Able to relate to varied level audiences across the organization; able to set priorities for team and maintain accountability; skillful in negotiating organizational boundaries and hierarchy; able to build effective teams
Next Steps? Apply today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.