Technology Strategist, Drug Delivery - BPD
The incumbent will explore unmet meets within AstraZeneca’s existing and future pipeline, identify opportunities to address these unment needs, and build the case to explore and develop solutions to these needs. The scope of the role includes assessment, analysis, and monitoring of new technologies and marketed products for drug delivery including formulation and device areas. Accountabilities include the valuation and prioritization of opportunities across all therapeutic areas, the translation of these opportunities into actionable strategies and technology roadmaps, and the identification of potential technology solutions to address these opportunities. The incumbent will build the business cases to support technology evaluations, establish feasibility studies of new technologies, and oversee collaborations with external partners. This position requires significant interaction with AstraZeneca senior leaders and functional areas, and requires development of a broad external network with industry business partners and academic colleagues. This individual must be able to work effectively in a matrix environment, influence broadly internally and externally, and establish strong relationships with external companies/consultants.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage with Research and Commercial leaders to understand formulation, drug delivery, and device needs within the portfolio
- Establish strong linkages and collaborations with AstraZeneca competitive intelligence and technology evaluation groups
- Stay abreast of and evaluate business, market and technology trends relevant to drug product, drug delivery and device development for the AstraZeneca portfolio
- Serve as subject matter expert of new technologies and products offered by external companies in drug product/formulation, drug delivery or device areas.
- Serve as an expert advisor for commercial product trends; track and analyze marketed product features and competitor technology strategies
- Develop external technology landscape for novel formulations/excipients, drug delivery systems and delivery devices including position papers for given technologies
- Provide assessments of technology fit with AstraZeneca portfolio products from development through lifecycle management
- Evaluate and prioritize portfolio trends and requisite investment or development areas to support those identified needs
- Develop technology strategies that bridge AstraZeneca’s current position and the desired end state in an efficient manner
- Translate the technology strategy into an actionable technology roadmap with clear investement and development recommendations
- Develop supporting business cases for new technology investemen or development efforts that ultimately impact the commercial success of the AstraZeneca portfolio products
- Represents AstraZeneca Dosage Form Design and Development organization with external partners and serve as the primary point of contact for new drug product and device technologies
- Develop strong partnerships with consultants and external companies/partners developing new drug product, drug delivery and device technologies\ Establish technology assessment projects and feasibility studies with external partners/consultants to identify and recommend technology solutions
- Define drug product and device aspects of early TPPs for CMC and product teams
- Establish process for and conduct periodic annual reviews to brief senior leaders on new developments and opportunities for our business; communicate broadly across AstraZeneca
- Build strong relationships and partner with other senior leaders across functions in AstraZeneca
Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, or Ph.D. in life sciences or engineering with experience in drug product, drug delivery or device development. MBA preferred.
- Candidate must be familiar with formulation, drug delivery and device technologies and their applications
- Candidate must have experience developing and executing technology strategies in the formulation, drug delivery, and device fields
- Candidate must have the business acumen to analyze pharmaceutical portfolios, estimate the potential impact of supporting technologies, and generate a business case to support said valuation
- Candidate must have a demonstrated ability to establish strong relationships with external partners, and have a strong external presence and industry network
- Must be able to work independently and drive progress, even when path to deliverables is ambiguous
- Must have a broad understanding of industry technology advancements and market trends
- Demonstrated ability to lead / influence cross-functionally and at a senior level within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment across multiple technical functions
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.