Associate Director, Translational Medicine Lead, Heme
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- In partnership with the Translational Medicine team, the Associate Director will help lead the implementation of strategic vision that enables target identification, indication selection, early indication of biological activity and patient stratification/selection in Oncology
- Deliver biomarkers for clinical studies based on the best available science and technologies.
- Generate biomarker data to guide indication selection and identification of targeted patient populations
- Measure target engagement reliably and quantifiably to inform clinical decisions for selecting therapeutically relevant doses and schedules.
- Understand key cancer pathway interactions and feedback mechanisms in clinical samples to guide rational drug combinations
- Define novel mechanisms of resistance targeted therapies by studying tumors at relapse.
- Collaborate with Oncology Research and product development teams to facilitate appropriate incorporation of Translational Medicine strategies for molecules in early phases of development in Oncology
- Collaborate with clinical operations teams to implement exploratory sample collection and analyses in clinical studies related to oncology.
- Manage internal and external research collaborations in areas of clinical technologies and oncology translational research
- Ensure complex clinical assays developed and validated internally or externally are fit for purpose.
- Contribute to and ensure the quality of Translational Medicine clinical study reports, data reviews and interpretations, presentations, scientific publications and recommendations to development teams and management
Essential Requirements and Qualifications
- PhD and /or MD with experience in oncology drug development required.
- Oncology training is required, preferably board certified or board eligible in Oncology and/or Hematology
- 5+ years’ experience in drug development in pharmaceutical or biotech industries
- In-depth knowledge of oncology disease area biology and translational science, ideally with expertise in myeloma, leukemia and lymphoma
- Proven communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Highly developed problem solving and risk management skills
- Ability to drive, manage, execute and deliver results for complex multi-functional projects.
- Highly developed collaborative working skills
- Ability to act as an external ambassador and to influence external organizations to enhance the image and reputation of AstraZeneca
- Proven ability to motivate and develop others
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.