What you'll do
As a Sales Representative with us, you’ll sell life-changing medicines within one of four therapeutic areas: Oncology, Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic, and other diseases. Using your exceptional selling skills and personable attitude, you’ll build strong and strategic partnerships with healthcare providers across your territory – from clinicians and pharmacists to nurses and consultants.
The part you play in our business will be challenging, yet rewarding, requiring you to use your resilient, collaborative and diplomatic skillsets to make connections. The majority of your work will be field based, and will require you to be highly-organised, planning your monthly schedule, attending meetings and calls, as well as writing up reports.
As one of the world’s leading BioPharmaceutical companies, we work to impact lives across R&D through to commercialisation. As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy the freedom to embrace your entrepreneurial spirit, sharing our medicines with customers in your territory and beyond.
Offering a clear development programme, we’ll train you to better understand and sell your product portfolio. And, we’ll enable you to meet your own development goals too. As well as structured support, you’ll benefit from the support of those around you – leaders and peers alike. Whether that’s receiving help from the marketing team or gaining compliance advice, we’ll be there to guide you. This is about doing the right thing, making an impact in the right way. Together.
No matter your experience or background, if you’ve got the passion and drive to progress, we’ll help you to succeed. These are some of the skills and capabilities we look for to ensure that success:
As this is a mobile role, you’ll be doing a lot of your work on your own. Being independent will be an important skill when delivering on targets. This means staying resilient and motivated in order to work successfully and meet your territory objectives.
You’ll be connecting with a range of healthcare professionals with different product needs. Interpersonal and relationship-building skills are vital to your collaborative role. And, where possible, you’ll use those skills to proactively identify new business opportunities.
Being on the road, you’ll be able to manage your own time, working around your various tasks. For this, you’ll need to be flexible in the way you work with the ability to adapt to and take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
This is a heavily-regulated industry, so working within it means taking responsibility and being particularly observant when selling our products. This means managing your work and territory with diplomacy and in a way that is compliant.
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life-changing medicines and we’re looking for big thinkers who thrive in a highly collaborative environment. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world and in our local communities. We commit to those areas where we think we can change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. Are you ready to make a difference?
AstraZeneca's strategy in Cardiovascular Renal Metabolic (CVRM) focuses on ways to reduce morbidity, mortality and organ damage by addressing multiple risk factors across cardiovascular (CV) disease, life-threatening bleeds, diabetes and chronic kidney-disease indications. The patient-centric approach is reinforced by science-led life-cycle management programs and technologies, including early research into regenerative methods.
As an Acute Care Hospital Sales Representative – San Jose, CA, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives within our Acute Care Hospital Sales Team. You will help lead the growth and expansion of our innovative and unique product portfolio, following FDA approval, for providers addressing life-threatening bleeds for patients on Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary responsibility of the Acute Care Hospital Sales Representative is to engage key stakeholders within complex hospital accounts, institutional systems and integrated delivery network (IDNs). This includes major Academic Centers, Comprehensive and large Community Hospitals. The Acute Care Hospital Sales Representative is responsible for sales achievement and relationship development across the entire patient journey within aligned institutions and surrounding hospital service areas. Products are promoted, as appropriate, and in-serviced at critical HCP decision points throughout the hospital.
The Acute Care Hospital Sales Representative will:
- Develop and maintain superior clinical expertise with our Brand (s) and disease state/conditions in order to effectively educate and engage Institutional healthcare professionals in a dialogue about clinical evidence, approved indications, and product efficacy/safety profiles to support on-label prescribing for appropriate patients.
- Provide education to these Institutions, HCPs and clinical end-users about AstraZeneca products in appropriate patients and providing information about available patient support programs, where available.
- Where appropriate, collaborate and align efforts with internal AZ stakeholders to engage with key institutions/HCPs, including partnership with other sales teams, medical, and market access teams as needed and aligned to Compliance Guidelines.
- Develop expertise in understanding of their IDN’s, account / market dynamics, stakeholder mapping / management, referral network navigation, access, account department drivers, patient pathway, etc. This includes developing, maintaining, and executing Strategic Key-Account Plans, providing account and patient-focused solutions, and connecting the right solution to the right account stakeholder.
- Function independently demonstrating a high-degree of sales proficiency to drive sales performance and ensure sales forecasts and assigned budgets meet or exceed therapeutic and territory expectations.
- Successfully complete training requirements, including product, condition and disease-state examinations.
- Support and capitalize on formulary approvals, implementation of protocols, and order sets, as appropriate, through effective development of a strategic targeting plan by using promotional, personnel resources, and analytical tools to maximize effectiveness in assigned sales geography, based on local assessment of customer needs.
- Proactively identify business opportunities, present value propositions aligned to stakeholder needs and objectives, and recommend solutions to drive and develop business.
- Provide special education to healthcare providers through appropriate programs that fall within AstraZeneca's ethical guidelines.
- Continuous and autonomous self-education and development, seeking feedback in an effort to raise awareness and gain insight into their strengths and developmental needs.
- Collaborate across functional areas to drive win/win outcomes that align to organizational objectives, demonstrate AZ values, understand basic business principles and interpret resources available to make sound business decisions.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 3 yrs of Pharmaceutical/ Biotech Sales experience with 2 or more years hospital selling experience
- Internal candidate must be Career Ladder Level 2 and above
- Strong scientific acumen in a highly competitive environment
- Demonstrated experience and mastery in account management
- Proven demonstration of successfully engaging key stakeholders in complex cross functional teams and clinical environments (mid to senior level healthcare professionals, key accounts and the medical community)
- Proven, documented track record for delivering consistent, 'Top-tier' sales results in Institutions and hospital systems
- Ability to work effectively independently and in an interdependent, team-oriented environment on a consistent basis
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and organizational abilities
- A valid driver's license and safe driving record
- Ability to travel within territory on a regular basis
- (Internal AstraZeneca Candidates) Ideally should be at least Executive PSS (CL 4) or Sr, Executive PSS (CL 5) at time of consideration
- 6 years Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical sales experience, including 3 years biotechnology/Pharmaceutical sales experience calling on Institutions and Hospital Systems, with preference for in-patient acute care call points
- Sales experience in the thrombosis or cardiovascular space
- Experience pulling through implementation of in-patient formularies, protocols and order sets
- Experience working with Medical Information Scientists/Liaisons (MIS)
- Experience launching new products
- Demonstrated effective time management, organizational and communication skills to prioritize opportunities and execute flawlessly
- Demonstrated effective leadership
- Demonstrated judgment and decision-making capability
- Be results oriented
- Ability to learn, analyze, understand and convey complex information
No company relocation assistance provided.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
Reasons to Join
There are many things I enjoy when working at AstraZeneca, mainly the Speak up culture, the great colleagues that are in my teams, the great products that AstraZeneca provides to our patients and the challenging conversations I have around our medicines.
Working at AstraZeneca has impacted my life in such a positive way. I now have an improved work-life balance through creating my own schedule and time management, I feel a balance that I didn’t have before.
There are a lot of reasons why I enjoy working in AstraZeneca, my colleagues being one of them. My team members and the managers have provided a great deal of guidance in helping me to be more confident in my daily work.
There’s a whole spectrum of perks that come with being a Sales Representative. From taking on the responsibility to enjoying opportunities to progress vertically and laterally. Discover some of our benefits:
We set you up to progress at every stage with structured goals and targets. There are also many routes you can take, from sales team management to product management, and beyond.
The work you do will allow you to take on a lot of responsibility, getting to know your product and owning the way you work – from your schedule and territory, to your strategy and the development of goals.
We reward based on your performance. So, by creating a big impact – both on our commercial growth and your personal development – you’ll be rewarded well.
Our training is of a high quality. From onboarding to on the job training, from learning from peers to product training, discover multiple opportunities to develop.