Scientist I - Metabolomics/Proteomics
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a part of our team in South San Francisco, CA you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We are seeking a Scientist I, individual contributor bench scientist to join Clinical Immunology and Bioanalysis within Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences organization to establish and apply a metabolomics/proteomics biomarker discovery platform using mass spectrometry within the context of non-clinical and clinical studies.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Establish a metabolomic/proteomics discovery platform to enable discovery and validation of metabolomic/lipidomic/proteomics biomarkers
- Development, validation/qualification of state-of-the-art mass spectrometry assays in support of pharmacodynamic, mechanistic, prognostic and diagnostic analyses in variety of biological matrices
- Sample analysis for exploratory, GLP and clinical studies using automated and manual sample extraction platforms
- Perform data analysis on acquired datasets, collaborate with statisticians, data scientists across global AstraZeneca teams
- Adhere to established Standard Operating Procedures, industry practice and regulatory guidance as appropriate
- Contribute to validation/qualification protocols and reports, bioanalytical reports, clinical study reports, etc., as appropriate
- Demonstrate competency in troubleshooting, optimization and implementation of challenging and innovative LC-MS/MS assays
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 2-4 years of postdoctoral or equivalent experience
- Strong background in analytical biochemistry/chemistry with emphasis on mass spectrometry applications in metabolomics, lipidomics or proteomics
- Familiarity with high resolution and QqQ instruments; ion mobility chromatography
- Strong publication record in metabolomics/proteomics
- Hands-on experience with chromatographic separation of various analytes by LC, ion mobility and characterization and quantification by MS or MS/MS
- Significant experience in method development, troubleshooting and complex omics data analysis
- Proficiency with mass spectrometry software, data analysis software (Spotfire, MATLAB, R, JMP, etc.) word processing, and graphical computer programs
- Industry experience
- Experience with automation
- Background in bioinformatics/statistical analysis of -omics datasets
- Familiarity with chromatographic assay validation guidelines, GLP regulations and fit-for-purpose biomarker validation principles is beneficial
- Familiarity with gas chromatography (GC-MS)
- Small-molecule mass spectrometry experience
- Familiarity with drug metabolite identification and profiling studies
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.