Synthetic Organic Chemistry Summer Internship
We are seeking a highly motivated individual willing to join one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies for a summer internship.
This is a 10-week paid placement in Cambridge, UK starting from the 29th of June 2020.
The candidate will join one of our Synthetic Chemistry teams within the Oncology Medicinal Chemistry Department, and will be involved in a range of research activities focused on the synthesis of novel molecules. The purpose of these activities is to support our medicinal chemistry design efforts to discover and optimise new drugs in the oncology therapeutic area.
Examples of tasks the individual may conduct during the internship are:
- Synthesis and purification of novel molecules using state of the art equipment and techniques
- Interpretation of analytical data
- Write up of experimental and manuscript for publication
The placement will aim to provide candidates an opportunity to gain knowledge of or experience in:
- Modern, practical analytical and purification skills
- Techniques for structural and conformational analysis of novel molecules
- Introduction to medicinal chemistry concepts
- Insight into current drug discovery
- Working within a team
- Applicants must currently be undergraduates (in third year or above) or graduates, with their degree being in chemistry or biochemistry
- Candidates should have some knowledge of organic chemistry and purification techniques with previous work experience in a chemistry laboratory preferred
- Candidates will have familiarity with the MS Windows environment, and Microsoft Office. Other computational skills (programming, Linux, Python etc.) are not essential but can be useful.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.