Analytical and Purification Summer Internship
We are seeking a highly motivated individual willing to join one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies for a summer internship.
This is a 10-week paid placement in Cambridge, UK starting from the 29th of June 2020.
The candidate will join our Analytical and Structural Chemistry team within the Oncology Medicinal Chemistry Department, and will be involved in a range of structural and physical chemistry-based research activities focused on small molecules. The purpose of these activities is to support our medicinal chemistry design efforts to discover and optimise new drugs in the oncology therapeutic area.
Examples of tasks the individual may conduct during the internship are:
- Purification of organic molecules by reverse-phase or superfluid chromatography
- Acquisition, processing and interpretation of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and/or mass spectrometry structural and quantitative data
- Integration of structural NMR data to derive 3D conformational preference of molecules
The placement will aim to provide candidates an opportunity to gain knowledge of or experience in:
- Modern, practical analytical and purification skills
- Techniques for structural and conformational analysis of novel molecules
- Introduction to medicinal chemistry concepts
- Insight into current drug discovery
- Working within a team
- Applicants must currently be undergraduates (in third year or above) or graduates, with their degree being in chemistry or biochemistry
- Candidates should have some basic knowledge of analytical and structural chemistry techniques, such as chromatography, MS Spectrometry, NMR spectroscopy and/or computational chemistry
- Candidates should have basic laboratory skills, including manipulation of solutions, preparation of buffers, and experience in handling of chemical substance in general
- Candidates will have familiarity with the MS Windows environment, and Microsoft Office. Other computational skills (programming, Linux, Python etc.) are not essential but can be useful.
Please be aware that we receive a large number of applications for our Internship placements and therefore we are sometimes unable to respond to you as soon as we would like. However, all applications will be reviewed and you will be notified via email of an outcome.
Interviews are scheduled between 16th and 28th March 2020.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.