ADME Associate Principal Scientist, Oncology R&D
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Oncology DMPK department provides preclinical support to pipeline projects of all stages of drug discovery and development. We are recruiting two senior individuals into our Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, and Excretion (ADME) team who have a passion for in-vitro ADME and/or biotransformation/analytical sciences, and the experience and expertise to devise, develop and champion these scientific areas, aligned with project needs. The candidates provide disciplinary scientific leadership in close collaboration with DMPK project representatives and represents the ADME team in cross-functional project sub-teams or interdisciplinary scientific meetings (internally / externally).
He or she will supervise more junior scientists by mentoring and challenging them, but also by providing expert advice and context for the interpretation of complex data. Functional representation on oncology drug discovery project teams is a potential development opportunity of the role. The roles are based in Cambridge UK.
- Devising bespoke ADME and / or biotransformation experimental science to support oncology portfolio projects (multiple modalities), with respect to their specific requirements.
- To provide disciplinary scientific leadership and supervision for less experienced scientists.
- To recommend, initiate, lead and champion innovations within their discipline.
- To publish papers and reviews in internationally recognised journals
- To participate in and contribute to local discipline review groups
- To provide support to the department’s leadership team in both the strategic vision for the department and in the efficient and progressive running of the department.
Minimum Requirements – Education, Experience and Capabilities:
- Ideally should have a Ph. D. degree or corresponding experience in a relevant scientific discipline with several years of experience in drug discovery and/or early development or alternatively a first degree and extensive relevant additional experience in drug discovery and early development.
Extensive experience in and knowledge one or more of the following:
- Analytical techniques e.g. LC MS/MS, fluorescence, UV, NMR
- Designing, conducting and evaluating studies to identify metabolites of drug candidates (in-vitro / in-vivo) and devising biotransformation pathways.
- Development, validation and improvement of in-vitro ADME assays
- Experimental determination of properties e.g. metabolic clearance in sub cellular and cell models, potential for DDI with P450 assays, permeability and transporter assays
- PBPK modelling, prediction of drug-drug -interaction
- Actively contributing to the understanding of correlations between compound and DMPK properties to aid drug design, experience with in-silico models.
- Broad understanding of all DMPK needed to support drug discovery and / or development projects
- Bring a fresh perspective into the group and the enthusiasm to tackle new challenges and learn new skills
- No line reports but there is an expectation to supervise and mentor more junior scientists and opportunities to supervise students and interns to pursue scientific interests.
Location: Chesterford Research Park, UK
Closing Date: 29th February 2020
Next steps, if you feel you are suitable for the role please apply.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.