Head of Enterprise AI Platforms
HEAD OF ENTERPRISE AI PLATFORMS
Melbourn Science Park (UK), Gaithersburg (USA), Gothenburg (SWE)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Data Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Data & AI team in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT OUR DATA SCIENCE & ENGINEERING TEAMS
A place to do important work. We connect across the whole business to power each function to better influence patient outcomes and improve their lives. Impactful and valuable, this is where you come to raise your profile and do good for others. Play an increasingly crucial role in driving disruptive transformation on our journey to becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Unleash the power of our latest innovations in data, machine learning and technology to turn complex information into life-changing and practical insights.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
We are seeking an experienced AI infrastructure and operations leader to support the delivery of AstraZeneca’s ambition of putting AI at the heart of 80% of our business processes by 2025. You will lead a platform and engineering team of more than 30 people as we develop our modern environments for data scientists, AI engineers and citizen data science. Running a team of AI engineers, AI modellers, Support, Business Analysts and Architects, you will work with partners from across the business to develop and execute our AI strategy, delivering value to the organisation and achieving our goal of democratising AI.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Enterprise AI Services team, to design, develop and own the AI Platform strategy and then support the delivery of our transformation goal whilst being a role model for digital behaviours and championing a culture of data centric decision making.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience working with advanced AI and data science platforms. You will have devised and deployed large-scale production machine learning infrastructure for use cases in major industries, with exposure to handling regulatory and compliance challenges. You will have previous personal experience developing machine learning models in more than one cloud platform (AWS, Azure, Google) and be familiar with the challenges of deploying AI infrastructure for different personas in a large organisation.
Our data science environments will support major AI initiatives such as clinical trial data analysis, knowledge graphs, patient safety systems, deep learning led drug discovery, software as a medical device, for our therapy areas. You will also have responsibility to help provide the frameworks for data scientists to develop scalable machine learning and predictive models with our growing data science community, in a safe and robust manner.
As a strong software engineering leader with an interest in building complex systems, you will be responsible for inventing how we use technology, machine learning, and data to accelerate the productivity of AstraZeneca. You will help envision, build, deploy and develop our next generation of AI engines and tooling at scale, which will include setting and realising software and deployment standards across the group.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Bsc/MSc/Ph.D degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field.
- Experience and demonstrable deep technical skills in delivering the technical implementation of one or more of the following areas: Machine Learning Engineering, high availability infrastructure, Kubernetes, AWS, natural language processing or computer vision.
- A passion for leading cloud engineering focused delivered teams within Agile frameworks.
- Experience in delivering enterprise platforms and services, handling new customer demand and feature requests; putting it into the hands of the end users.
- Experience driving a consensus driven technology roadmap across diverse viewpoints and preferences.
- Ability to depict the strategic value and return on investment for tooling across the Machine Learning lifecycle.
- Experience of designing, building and deploying system attributes that enhance reproducible Machine Learning Systems (determinism, data versioning, explainability) within regulated areas will be looked upon favourably. Demonstratable experience and strong opinion about the right data science and AI tools – from data wrangling to production AI.
- Experience governing large scale, high-cost cloud systems with strong views on estate optimisation, hardening of cyber security and enabling high productivity ways of working.
- Experience running or managing an enterprise AI or data science solutions built on cloud and containers, leveraging microservice architectures and serverless approaches to lower cost of operation.
- Strong passion to increase the ease of access of Data Science, Machine Learning and AI tools to AI experts and beginners across a large company.
- Experience building, operating and governing GxP compliant life-science and/or SOX compliant financial systems will be looked upon favourably.
- Considerable experience with orchestrating, optimising and scaling cloud environments, specifically proven knowledge of federated clusters and scale to zero compute.
- Significant Experience with open source and cloud native Machine Learning Platforms and Toolkits.
- Entrepreneurial and enthusiastic approach to solving problems.
- Experience of leading teams of 10 or more AI engineers or AI scientists
WHY JOIN IT?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new leading-edge technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to add value in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact. Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT NEXT?
If reading the above has tickled your senses and you’re ready to join us, hit the apply button and we look forward to reviewing your application soon.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Open Date: 13 / 10 / 2021
Close Date: 13 / 11 / 2021
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.