At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
AstraZeneca’s Centre for Genomics Research (CGR) are looking for outstanding Genome Analysts to contribute to the genomic strategies of the CGR in an unprecedented genomic initiative, involving the analysis of up to 2 million genomes. This includes the analysing the sequences of up to 500,000 participants from AstraZeneca clinical trials and the sequence data from large population cohorts including the ~500,000 UK Biobank participants.
Genomics is fundamental to our laboratory research, our clinical trials and the launch of new precision medicines. Our in-house clinico-genomic database is already among one of the largest globally, currently housing hundreds of thousands of human exome and genome sequences to enable AstraZeneca to identify genetic determinants for disease risk, validate new targets for medicines and improve patient stratification opportunities among core therapeutic areas of oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular, renal and metabolic disease.
Genome Analysts will work with leaders in human genomics, designing and implementing novel statistical genetic approaches on large-scale genomics data and delivering innovative science to genome analytics. Genome Analysts are responsible for the analysis of CGR projects with support from a dynamic team in CGR’s multidisciplinary genomics research environment comprising of bioinformaticians, computational biologists, software engineers, statistical geneticists, postdoctoral researchers and clinician experts. You will also work closely with experts in translational science, drug discovery, pre-clinical modelling, and clinical development; thus, contributing to the broader objectives and success of the company-wide Genomics Initiative.
- Coordinating and executing analyses within AstraZeneca’s Centre for Genomics Research
- Applying innovative quantitative genomic analyses to large-scale cohort studies to identify clinically relevant disease and response loci
- Deliver novel insights into the biology of disease, validation of new targets for medicines and the improvement of selection of patients for clinical trials
- Assessing the scientific & technical integrity of algorithms and tools within the analysis pipeline
- Providing detailed reports regarding the study design, analysis approach and research findings and presenting to study teams
- Maintaining a well-developed knowledge of genomic science and technical advances in the international community
- Leading genomic science input into the drug development process
- Collaborating to apply genomic analysis with discovery and development teams
- Ensuring own work, and work of team, is compliant with Good Laboratory Practice, Safety, Health and Environment standards and all other internal AstraZeneca standards and external regulations
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required:
- PhD degree (or equivalent experience) in Bioinformatics, Statistical Genetics, Biostatistics, Complex Trait Genetics, Computational Biology, or a related discipline
- Experience in large-scale data analysis, applied statistics, and machine learning
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and non-experts, both verbally and through documentation
- High level understanding or interest in the potential of genomics to impact drug discovery
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve and perform difficult tasks while under pressure
- Ability to carry out duties under minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work within a team in a quickly evolving environment
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in high-level scientific journals
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Experience in case-control sequencing based statistical analyses
- Experience quantifying and interpreting the clinical relevance of rare variants
- Familiarity with high performance and/or cloud computing
- Programming skills appropriate for large scale genomics analysis
- Familiarity working on genomics studies involving one of AstraZeneca’s core therapeutic areas
Location: Melbourn Science Park, Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
If you are interested, please apply.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.