Competitive salary and benefits
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Data Engineering? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the DataOps team in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a the place where innovation meets large-scale impact. Here we are putting data at the heart of our processes at AstraZeneca. We work on everything from building data solutions, modelling and structuring, to exploring and innovating with data.
We work in synergy with leading experts in our specialist communities, using our diverse experiences to expand our knowledge and access game-changing data. From the launch of our medicines to manufacturing them.
We aspire to break down boundaries, working cross-functionally better than ever before. One day working along the whole development cycle from molecules to delivery, the next supporting HR processes or engaging with Healthcare professionals.
Sound interesting, then this might be the role for you!
About the team:
Data & Analytics are cross-functional teams within R&D IT and Enabling Units IT that provides analytics, data insight services and solutions critical to the mission of AstraZeneca. D&A is organized into teams specialising in: Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Visual Engineering, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
We are recruiting for engineers to be based at our Central Cambridge site. As an engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a T-shaped engineer, a person with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively on our cloud data platforms.
You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling containerised ETL. Similarly, we have built an automated ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have a significant backlog of work, so you might be supporting the development of a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in Chennai and Guadalajara. You would be the technical point of reference on projects. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile, but choose the appropriate approach for the project.
So, experience of a variety of delivery management approach will come in useful. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on a blueprint, right through to hypercare.
About the role:
The DataOps Engineer may be an experienced individual contributor but will also play a leadership role on smaller initiatives and projects overseeing other Software Engineers and may be a Subject Matter Expert in their specialized field. The DataOps Engineer will pair with other DataOps Engineers, Leads, and Architects to design, build, test and deploy DataOps solutions.
The role will involve:
- Analysing and improving the Software Development Lifecycle, standards, patterns and processes within the Data & Analytics domain
- Optimizing performance and improving efficiency through automation, monitoring and mentoring
- Supporting, maintaining and developing the applications and infrastructure that underpin the SDLC
Key requirements of the role:
- You will have strong experience in delivering automation and process improvements,
- You will have delivery experience across key elements of the data & analytics domain,
- You will need great interpersonal skills & a collaborative approach to delivery,
- You will be able to demonstrate an ability to understand business needs and translate them into a solution,
- You must have strong analytical and data manipulation ability,
- You will have experience of technical leadership in data and analytics.
Desirable requirements for the role:
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (we use Jenkins, DataKitchen, Nexus, Git with development in Python, Java, Groovy),
- Experience developing solutions using Azure Power Apps,
- Experience of automated testing,
- Experience of creating and administering data warehouses and data marts (MySQL, PostGreSQL, Oracle, Redshift, SnowFlake, SingleStore),
- Experience of ETL & cloud techniques and tools (we currently use: Talend for ETL; AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark; we are expanding into Azure, GCP, Alibaba),
- Experience of real-time system monitoring platforms (Splunk, ELK stack, CloudWatch)
- Experience of visualisation technologies (we are focused on PowerBI and Microstrategy),
- Familiarity with creating bespoke graphical user interfaces and application APIs,
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master.
Open Date: 08/06/2021
Close Date: 06/07/2021
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you. Apply today!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.