Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry
To strengthen our Medicinal Chemistry Department, Acerta Pharma in Oss, Netherlands is looking for a strong Team Leader to discover and develop novel small molecule drug candidates in the field of oncology. You will lead your local team and interact at a global level on innovative projects with your scientific international colleagues from AstraZeneca.
Are you an experienced Medicinal Chemist and do you bring proven experience in identifying preclinical candidates? Would you like to work in a growing company that is part of AstraZeneca, a leading biopharmaceutical company driven by what science can do?
We offer the opportunity to make an important impact and contribution to finding potential new life-saving medicines within the field of oncology. We all work for the same goal! Do you want to be part of this?
Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry (PhD)
As our new Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry, you will be in the lead of multiple innovative small molecule drug discovery projects, covering modalities ranging from small to medium sized molecules. You will give strategic direction to these projects and you will work together and align with your international colleagues from AstraZeneca. Based on your scientific experience and leadership skills you will serve as a mentor and leader to less experienced members of the team and at the same time be a strong advisor at senior management level.
What will you be doing?
• You will lead a team of chemists/medicinal chemists by creating a positive working environment. You will be coaching, motivating and developing your team both at a scientific and a personal development level.
• You will be responsible for the implementation and delivery of project key milestones in the whole range of drug discovery phases. Together with your team, this will include the implementation of drug design and medicinal chemistry principles, use and implementation of state-of-the-art computational chemistry methodologies, execution of high quality organic synthetic chemistry.
• You will be a strong mentor of your projects towards senior management, being a good communicator and presenter and aligning with key stakeholders across the organization.
What do you bring?
• You hold a PhD in Chemistry or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry (must have) with proven capability to solve challenging problems within drug discovery.
• You have a minimum of 3 years of experience in successfully leading, mentoring, and developing a medicinal chemistry team (must have) resulting in personal and scientific growth of individual team members as well as the team as a whole.
• You have a strong track record in driving drug discovery projects through key milestones, ranging from hit finding through identification of preclinical candidates (must have).
• You have strong leadership skills, with good communication and presentation skills, stakeholder management, passionate project advocacy and speak up discussion mentality.
• You bring experience-based competencies for the related drug discovery disciplines like biology, DMPK, pharmacology, chemical development, enabling you to closely align with your peer discipline leads.
• You have a track record of scientific visibility through publications, patents and presentations at conferences.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and growing international working environment where you will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patient’s lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere.
• The opportunity to further develop yourself, e.g. to a position with even more responsibility.
• The possibility to work together with your international colleagues in the US, UK and Sweden from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to an indefinite period after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patient’s lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
At our international headquarters in Oss, over 70 colleagues are working hard to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of (blood) cancer. Together with our colleagues at our American subsidiary in San Francisco, we are committed to innovative drug research and development, especially in the field of hematological oncology.
We work closely with AstraZeneca, which acquired a majority stake in Acerta Pharma in February 2016. In the meantime, we have approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for our treatment for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines with small molecules and biologic drugs to treat certain oncological diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Maaike Willems) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.