Synthetic Organic Chemist
Are you a Synthetic Organic Chemist who has extensive experience with usage, troubleshooting and maintenance of (prep)-HPLC-(MS) systems, and do you enjoy working with these techniques in the lab?
To strengthen and expand our Medicinal Chemistry Team at Acerta Pharma in Oss we are looking for a proactive Synthetic Organic Chemist who is going to be the expert of our (preparative)-HPLC(-MS)/automated purification systems. You will also work independently in the lab on the synthesis and discovery of new medicines for oncology.
A great opportunity within a (small) pharmaceutical company (> 60 employees in total) where you will work closely together with AstraZeneca, a large well known international pharmaceutical company.
Will you be our new enthusiastic colleague in our close-knit, chemistry team? You will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to finding potentially new life-saving medicines in oncology. We all have one goal, to make an important contribution to the quality of the life of patients!
Synthetic Organic Chemist
As a Synthetic Organic Chemist you will work with your colleagues in the chemistry team on further development of Acerta's oncology portfolio. Next to your work on the organic synthesis of new molecules you will be responsible for the optimal functioning of our LC-MS and automated purification systems, contributing to the progress of our projects towards clinical development. Together with your colleagues, you ensure that the laboratory remains optimally operational and safe.
What will you be doing?
• You will be the expert in the team for the LC-MS and automated purification systems ensuring their optimal functioning and maintenance.
• You also will synthesize new bioactive substances, using organic chemistry techniques. In doing so, you propose new synthetic routes to get to the desired molecules.
• You actively participate in chemistry and project meetings and present your work during these meetings.
• You will take part in research activities in the field of drug discovery by collaborating with and learning from fellow-scientists from different disciplines.
What do you bring?
• Master degree in Chemistry with Organic Chemistry as the main focus (or equivalent) with at least 2 years of experience with organic (and/or medicinal) chemistry (multistep syntheses) OR
• HLO (Hoger Laboratorium Onderwijs) or Bachelor in Chemistry with at least 5 years of experience with organic (and/or medicinal) chemistry (multistep syntheses).
• Hands-on experience with LC-MS systems (optimization of methods, experience in maintenance and troubleshooting).
• Experience with various analysis and purification techniques (NMR, TLC, column chromatography).
• Experience with medicinal chemistry in the pharmaceutical industry is an advantage.
• You are fluent in English; Dutch language skills is an advantage.
• Excellent written & communication skills.
• Competencies: team player, enthusiasm for chemistry, eager to learn, eager to pick things up quickly, proactive, takes the initiative.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patients' lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere!
• The possibility to work together with colleagues from chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to a permanent contract after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patients’ lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
At our international headquarters in Oss, over 60 colleagues are working hard to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of (blood) cancer. Together with our colleagues at our American subsidiary in San Francisco, we are committed to innovative drug research and development, especially in the field of hematological oncology.
We work closely with AstraZeneca, which acquired a majority stake in Acerta Pharma in February 2016. In the meantime, we have approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for our treatment for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines with small molecules and biologic drugs to treat certain oncological diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Cynthia Smit) can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.