Senior Research Scientist BioScience (PhD + Postdoc experience)
Are you passionate about shaping the future of drug discovery?
Senior Research Scientist BioScience (PhD + Postdoc experience)
Oss, The Netherlands
Due to expansion of our Biology team Acerta Pharma (European R&D centre of AstraZeneca in Oss) we have a position available for a motivated and creative Senior Research Scientist. In this lab-based position, you will be part of our BioScience team and have a significant contribution to the forefront of haematologic cancer biology from target discovery through drug candidate selection.
Cutting edge projects: you will be working on next generation drugs that have the potential to improve the quality of the patients’ lives.
Multidisciplinary collaboration: you will collaborate with experts within Acerta Pharma and AstraZeneca from diverse fields (such as molecular biology through to computational chemistry), fostering a dynamic environment.
Innovation culture: we stimulate our innovation culture: your ideas are not just valued, but actively encouraged. Your voice matters at Acerta Pharma.
With your deep knowledge of biochemical and cell-based assay development (compound screening/ profiling strategies) you will be working in our new state of the art laboratory together with your colleagues of the BioScience and chemistry department .
As a Senior Research Scientist you are an expert within the BioScience team of Acerta Pharma in biochemical and cell-based assay development and applications. You will design, perform and interpret experimental data from various sources to select and validate chemical compounds. In cooperation with medical chemists and the Biochemical and Cellular Support Team, you will identify, validate and design drug screening cascades aimed at the development of new candidates as future treatment of haematological tumours.
What will you be doing?
• You will take responsibility for the design, execution and interpretation of biological studies to identify starting points for the development of future compound screening assays.
• You will be responsible for the design, validation, implementation and interpretation of data from biochemical and cell-based assays for the screening and profiling of small molecule inhibitors.
• You will support project leaders in the validation of newly synthesized compounds and the design of relevant assays.
• You will actively collaborate with fellow scientists from other departments of AstraZeneca in Cambridge (UK), Boston, Gaithersburg and San Francisco (US).
• Your entrepreneurial attitude will help to achieve Acerta Pharma’s research goal to implement novel findings and compounds into clinical practice.
• You are responsible for accurate and well-organised laboratory records, worksheets and notebooks.
What do we ask of you?
• You have completed a PhD in Biology, Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences, plus a minimum of 5 years postdoctoral experience, with a strong insight in oncogenic mechanisms on the biochemistry and molecular biology level that can be implemented in future assay designs.
• A background in the pharmaceutical industry or pharmacology is preferred.
• Experience with biochemical and cell-based assay development and validation, drug target validation and characterising of small molecule inhibitor is a must.
• In the hit-identification and lead-optimisation process for the selection of candidate medicines for future clinical application you have experience with various fluorescence-polarisation and FRET-based biochemical assays as well as cellular screening techniques including flow-based cytotoxicity assays.
• Track record of successful development and implementation of strategies and initiatives in oncologic research is a plus.
• Excellent project management skills, including prioritisation, time management and progressing research projects.
• Solid understanding of the drug discovery process with a major focus on small molecule research and able to work in a matrix organisation.
• Proficient in analysing complex data sets resulting from diverse research disciplines relevant to internal projects.
• Scientific expert in the field with a strong publication track-record.
• Excellent and strong communicator.
What we offer
A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You are part of the development process of new drugs that can make a difference in the lives of cancer patients and their loved ones.
• The opportunity to further develop yourself, for example, into a position offering even more responsibility. International growth (within AstraZeneca) is also one of the possibilities.
• Good primary & secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis plus office closure between X-mas and New Year + Good Friday.
• Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution.
• Bonus scheme.
• Personal budget which can be used for vitality, home office equipment, sustainability or personal development.
• Access to internal training and learning and development offerings.
For expat candidates we offer
• a relocation package (including support for the application to the tax authorities for the 30% tax ruling).
• an expat program, including a Dutch language course and the opportunity to learn more about the Dutch culture.
At our international headquarters in Oss, the Netherlands, we are working to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of blood cancer. Together with our colleagues of AstraZeneca in US, Canada and UK we are committed to innovative drug discovery and development, especially in the field of haematological oncology.
Acerta has received approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for its small molecule BTK inhibitor for treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines to treat haematological malignant diseases.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment Team, Karin Raadschelders / Caroline van Oppen are happy to inform you. firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.