Scientist Chemistry (HLO/Master)
You will work independently in the lab on the discovery of new medicines for oncology. A great opportunity within a (small) pharmaceutical company (> 60 employees in total) where you will work closely together with AstraZeneca, a large well known international pharmaceutical company.
Will you be our new enthusiastic colleague in our close-knit, chemistry team? You will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to finding potentially new life-saving medicines in oncology! We all have one goal, to make an important contribution to the quality of the life of patients!
Are you eager to learn, pick things up quickly and are you proactive?
Scientist Chemistry (HLO/Master)
As a Scientist Chemistry you will work with your colleagues in the chemistry team on further development of Acerta's oncology portfolio. You work on the organic synthesis and analysis of new molecules, contributing to the progress of our projects towards clinical development. Together with your colleagues, you ensure that the laboratory remains optimally operational and safe. And importantly: you enjoy carrying out this work on a daily basis!
What will you be doing?
• Your main task is to synthesize new bioactive substances, using organic chemistry techniques. In doing so, you also think of new synthetic routes to get to the desired molecules.
• You take an active part in chemistry and project meetings and present your work during these meetings.
• You will take part in research activities in the field of drug discovery by collaborating with and learning from fellow-scientists from different disciplines.
• You will assist in solving routine and non-routine technical problems, such as equipment in the lab.
What do you bring?
• Completed HLO study (Hoger Laboratorium Onderwijs), HBO-Chemistry (Bachelor level) or Master Chemistry with organic chemistry as a specialism (or equivalent).
• At least 3 years of experience with organic (and/or medicinal) chemistry (synthesis of substances). Experience with medicinal chemistry in the pharmaceutical industry is an advantage.
• Experience with various analysis and purification techniques (NMR, (prep-) HPLC (-MS), TLC, column chromatography).
• You are fluent in English; Dutch language skills is an advantage.
• Excellent written & communication skills.
• Competencies: team player, enthusiasm for chemistry, eager to learn, eager to pick things up quickly, able to work openly, accurately and neatly, pro-active, takes the initiative, easy to work with.
• You are currently living in the Netherlands, or you already have concrete plans to move to the Netherlands (with a maximum of 50km distance to our offices in Oss).
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patients' lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere!
• The possibility to work together with colleagues from chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme, laptop. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to a permanent contract after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patients’ lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
Acerta Pharma has its global headquarter in Oss, The Netherlands and the company has a US subsidiary in California, South San Francisco.
In Oss, more than 60 enthusiastic colleagues work in the area of drug discovery and development, in close collaboration with AstraZeneca in the US and UK, to provide new treatment options for oncology patients.
In February 2016, AstraZeneca (AZ) acquired a majority stake (55%) in Acerta Pharma and is now a committed partner in the haematological oncology area. At the end of October 2017, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted accelerated approval for acalabrutinib (tradename Calquence ®) for previously treated mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) patients. In 2019, the FDA granted Calquence a breakthrough therapy designation for the treatment of chronic lymphatic leukaemia (CLL). Acerta Pharma is working closely with AstraZeneca to obtain approval for Calquence in a large number of other countries as well as for additional indications for this promising drug. In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta are working together on a large number of other innovative small molecule drugs and biologicals for the treatment of certain oncological diseases.
If you are interested and would like to apply we would like to receive your cover letter and CV.
You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment Team, Caroline van Oppen, Karin Raadschelders and Cynthia Smit can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.