Research Scientist Discovery Biology (Haematology) 5x
Acerta Pharma in Oss, the Netherlands, is a European R&D centre of the AstraZeneca group dedicated to the discovery and development of novel innovative drugs for the treatment of haematological malignancies. As part of the significant expansion of our research activities in the Netherlands, we are in the process of building a new research centre in Pivot Park with state-of-the-art research laboratories for more than 120 researchers.
Within our BioScience Discovery Team, we have an exciting opportunity for 5 ambitious and talented Research Scientists Discovery Biology.
Do you want to make a significant contribution to oncology drug development? Are you looking for a job in which you combine laboratory and database research to identify and validate new drug targets? Do you have a completed PhD plus 3 years postdoctoral experience in pharmaceutical or academic research?
Then read on, because Acerta Pharma in Oss is looking for talented Research Scientists to develop new therapies for patients with malignant haematological diseases.
Research Scientist Discovery Biology (Haematology) 5x
Pivot Park, Oss
As a Research Scientist Discovery you have a steering role in the BioScience team of Acerta Pharma. You team up with project leaders and scientists, bioinformaticians and technicians of both the BioScience and Chemistry teams in Oss and with researchers from Global AstraZeneca research facilities in the US and UK. You will design, perform and interpret studies for the selection and validation of new drug targets. In cooperation with medicinal chemists, you will identify, validate and optimise new drug candidates as future treatment of haematological tumours.
What will you be doing?
• As a team member, you will identify, select and validate new drug targets.
• Starting as an integral team member, you will take responsibility for the design, execution and interpretation of biological studies to identify starting points for future drugs in the haematology/oncology field.
• You will make an essential contribution to the design and implementation of the Discovery strategy at Acerta Pharma, a R&D partner of the AstraZeneca Group.
• You will actively collaborate with fellow scientists from other departments of AstraZeneca in Cambridge (UK), Boston, Gaithersburg and San Francisco (US).
• In your role, you will help to coordinate external activities and collaborative research programmes within Acerta Pharma and AstraZeneca and with academic institutions.
• Your entrepreneurial attitude and know-how will help to achieve Acerta Pharma’s research goal to implement novel findings and compounds into clinical practice.
• You take care of accurate and well-organised laboratory records, worksheets and notebooks.
What do we ask of you?
• You have completed a PhD in Biology or Biomedical Sciences, preferably with a strong emphasis on cellular and/or molecular biology.
• You have a minimum of three years of postdoctoral research experience.
• Experience with drug target validation and characterising of candidate drugs within the pharmaceutical industry is an advantage.
• Experience with genetic manipulations (Lentiviral, CRISPR-Cas9, shRNA, or equivalent) of cellular models.
• Experience with cell biological techniques such as qPCR, co-immunoprecipitation, ChIP is an advantage.
• Experience with preclinical disease models for oncology is preferred.
• You have a critical attitude in relation to data storage, analysis and interpretation.
• You are a strong communicator and team player.
• Excellent command of English.
• Competences: team player, strong communication, persuasiveness, problem-solving ability, proactive attitude, good ability to set priorities, flexible, entrepreneurial attitude, ability to clearly disseminate research results across disciplines, good presentation skills, strong commitment to scientific rigour, excellent experimental skills.
What can we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative, international working environment, where you can be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference to patients' lives.
• The opportunity to work in a dedicated team, in which you can learn from each other and in which colleagues support each other. At Acerta Pharma we are proud of our team spirit!
• Good salary and secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise in a gym at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• Upon proven qualification, you may become a project leader within the Discovery Biology group of the BioScience department.
For candidates from abroad we offer a good relocation package (including support for an application to tax authorities for the 30% tax ruling).
For our international colleagues we offer an expat program, including a language course and to learn more about the Dutch culture.
The culture is informal, with a good team spirit and a willingness to share and learn from each other. At Acerta Pharma we are all working towards the same goal!
The atmosphere in the BioScience department (at present 25 employees and growing to 40 this year) is healthy, supportive and constructive. We strongly adhere to the AstraZeneca ethics guidelines concerning diversity, respect and ability to speak up.
Our international headquarters is located at the Pivot Park in Oss, the Netherlands, and will grow from 80 to 120 employees by the end of this year. We are working to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of blood cancer. Together with our colleagues of AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, San Francisco, Boston (US), Gothenburg (SE) and Cambridge (UK) we are committed to innovative drug discovery and development, especially in the field of haematological oncology.
Acerta Pharma has received approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for its small molecule BTK inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines to treat haematological malignant diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your resume (Curriculum vitae) and cover letter in English. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload the documents at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Maaike Willems) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.