Research Scientist Chemistry (PhD)
Are you an Organic/Medicinal Chemist and do you hold a PhD? Do you enjoy working in the lab on projects for drug discovery and do you bring experience which can be used in the discovery of new (oncology) medicines?
We offer the opportunity to make an important impact and contribution to finding potential new life-saving medicines within the oncology field.
Research Scientist Chemistry (PhD)
As a Research Scientist Chemistry you and your colleagues will help set the course for the coming year (and beyond) in the further development of Acerta's oncology portfolio. You will work on drug discovery projects together with your international colleagues from AstraZeneca.
You will spend most of your time working on innovative projects with your colleagues in the discovery lab’s. In addition, you will be in the lead for chemistry aspects of various drug discovery projects with the perspective to grow into all aspects of modern medicinal chemistry. By leveraging on your experience, creativity and problem solving attitude you will make a great impact, progressing our projects towards clinical development.
What will you be doing?
• You will work in a chemical discovery laboratory, design and synthesize new biologically active molecules.
• You develop new methods and implement new techniques to advance our drug discovery projects.
• You will provide proposals to further develop and improve current and future projects. You coordinate progress, divide the work between you and your colleagues and ensure follow-up of the results.
• You will share experiences, knowledge and developments in the field with fellow scientists from AstraZeneca & Acerta Pharma.
What do you bring?
• You have completed a Master study program in Chemistry, (bio)Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related, supplemented by a completed PhD (must have), preferably on a synthetic organic/medicinal chemistry subject.
• A minimum of 2 years working experience and/or a post doc in organic or medicinal chemistry.
• Experience with publishing scientific articles, preferably in peer-reviewed scientific journals, is a must have.
• You have demonstrated the ability to plan and successfully complete multistep syntheses.
• Experience with project management and supervising colleagues in this area is an advantage.
• Experience in writing patents is an advantage.
• Further attributes: pro-active, critical and independent thinking, able to set priorities, creative, perseverance.
• Fluent in English, preferably also in Dutch (or willing to learn).
You live in the Netherlands or are open to relocate to Brabant, Utrecht, Gelderland.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patients' lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere!
• The opportunity to further develop yourself, e.g. to a position with even more responsibility.
• The possibility to work together with your international colleagues from the Chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme, laptop. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to an indefinite period after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patients lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
In Oss, more than 60 enthusiastic colleagues work in the area of drug discovery and development, in close collaboration with AstraZeneca in the US and UK, to provide new treatment options for oncology patients.
In February 2016, AstraZeneca (AZ) acquired a majority stake (55%) in Acerta Pharma and is now a committed partner in the haematological oncology area. At the end of October 2017, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted accelerated approval for acalabrutinib (tradename Calquence ®) for previously treated mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) patients. In 2019, the FDA granted Calquence a breakthrough therapy designation for the treatment of chronic lymphatic leukaemia (CLL). Acerta Pharma is working closely with AstraZeneca to obtain approval for Calquence in a large number of other countries as well as for additional indications for this promising drug. In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are working together on a large number of other innovative small molecule drugs and biologicals for the treatment of certain oncological diseases.
If you are interested and would like to apply we would like to receive your cover letter and CV.
You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.