Group Leader Medicinal Chemistry (PhD)
Are you an experienced Scientist (Organic/Medicinal Chemist (PhD)) and do you bring proven experience in identifying preclinical candidates? Would you like to work in a growing company that is part of AstraZeneca, an international matrix organisation?
We offer the opportunity to make an important impact and contribution to finding potential new life-saving medicines within the field of oncology. We all work for the same goal! Do you want to be part of this?
Group Leader Medicinal Chemistry (PhD)
As our new Group Leader Medicinal Chemistry, you will be in the lead of various innovative small molecule drug discovery projects. You will give strategic direction to these projects and you will work together with your international colleagues from AstraZeneca. Based on your experience and leadership skills you know how to take the projects to the next level. You are a strong advisor at senior management level, and you know how to convince and motivate others.
In this role you will take the lead in setting the course for the coming years with regards to the future development of Acerta’s oncology/hematology portfolio.
What will you be doing?
• You will lead a team of chemists/medicinal chemists and you will be creating a positive working environment. You will coach, motivate and develop your team both at a scientific level as well as on a personal level.
• You are responsible for the design strategy, delivery and implementation of project(s) in the Lead Optimisation or Lead Generation phase.
• You will lead drug design by analysing data and integrating medicinal chemistry principles with knowledge of computational and organic chemistry.
• You will be accountable for the quality and the delivery of synthetic chemistry of your project(s).
• You will show interactive communication and scientific drive within the project team, directly engaging with, advising and influencing other discipline representatives within the team to drive project delivery.
• You will help to create a vibrant and entrepreneurial environment focused on innovation & project delivery; you will lead by example in collaborating closely with scientists across the organisation.
What do you bring?
• You hold a PhD in a chemistry-related discipline with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience (in addition to your PhD), of which 5 years relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry (must haves).
• You have a minimum of 3 years of experience in leading, motivating, and developing a medicinal chemistry team.
• You have experience in identifying pre-clinical candidates (must have).
• You have demonstrated project leadership skills and the ability to drive drug discovery projects through key portfolio landmarks.
• You have a consistent track record of personal impact in project medicinal chemistry delivery over multiple projects.
• You have demonstrated evidence of delivery/impact through others (i.e. supervision/mentoring of a team).
• You have good skills to represent medicinal chemistry in a cross-disciplinary project team.
• You have good communication and networking skills.
• You are creative, you show perseverance and you bring excellent problem solving and leadership skills.
• You have a track record of scientific visibility through publications e.g. papers, patents and/or conference talks.
• Fluent in English, preferably also in Dutch (or willing to learn).
You live in the Netherlands or you are open to relocate to Brabant, Utrecht or Gelderland.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patient’s lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere.
• The opportunity to further develop yourself, e.g. to a position with even more responsibility.
• The possibility to work together with your international colleagues in the UK and US from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to an indefinite period after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patient’s lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
At our international headquarters in Oss, over 60 colleagues are working hard to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of (blood) cancer. Together with our colleagues at our American subsidiary in San Francisco, we are committed to innovative drug research and development, especially in the field of hematological oncology.
We work closely with AstraZeneca, which acquired a majority stake in Acerta Pharma in February 2016. In the meantime, we have approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for our treatment for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines with small molecules and biologic drugs to treat certain oncological diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Cynthia Smit) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.