Computational Chemist (PhD)
As an experienced Computational Chemist, you will discover and develop novel small molecule drug candidates in the field of oncology with access to state-of-the-art computational methods (including FEP and AI) and lead generation capabilities.
Within our Medicinal Chemistry Team, we have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and talented Computational Chemist.
Acerta Pharma in Oss, the Netherlands, is a European R&D center of the AstraZeneca group dedicated to the discovery and development of novel innovative drugs for the treatment of haematological malignancies. As part of the significant expansion of our research activities in the Netherlands, we are in the process of building a new research center in Pivot Park with state-of-the-art research laboratories for more than 120 researchers.
Computational Chemist (PhD)
Pivot Park, Oss, Netherlands
As an experienced Computational Chemist, you will be a leading member of multiple medicinal chemistry design teams. You will be responsible for delivering on computational and medicinal chemistry strategies, to impact project success at all stages from drug target identification through to clinical candidate nomination.
What will you be doing?
• You will carry out structure- and ligand-based design and data analysis, extracting insight from large proprietary structural biology and SAR data sets.
• You will work closely with scientists from other disciplines at Acerta Pharma and AstraZeneca including structural biology, biophysics, ADME/DMPK and safety sciences as part of the wider drug discovery project teams.
• You will present your work regularly to peers and senior stakeholders.
• You will show interactive communication and scientific drive within the project teams, directly engaging with, advising and influencing other discipline representatives within the team to drive project delivery.
• You will help to create a vibrant and entrepreneurial environment focused on innovation & project delivery.
• You will help to identify new computational technologies that could benefit drug discovery.
What do you bring?
• You hold a PhD in Chemistry/Computational Chemistry with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience working as a computational chemist on predominantly small molecule drug discovery projects in a Pharmaceutical or Biotech setting (must haves).
• You have broad experience in structure and ligand-based design, data analysis and property prediction.
• You bring a passion for drug discovery and an excellent understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts.
• You are an innovative problem-solver, with a track record of impacting drug project delivery.
• You have good communication and networking skills. In addition you are proactive and result driven.
• You have a track record of scientific visibility through publications e.g. papers, patents and / or conference talks.
• Fluent in English.
You are already living in the Netherlands or you are open to relocate to the Brabant, Utrecht or Gelderland region.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patient’s lives.
The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere.
• The possibility to work together with colleagues from chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme, laptop. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists at Acerta Pharma and at the same time a member of the computational chemistry community at AstraZeneca. Together we can make a difference in patients’ lives. The working environment is pleasant, dynamic and informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
Our international headquarters is located at the Pivot Park in Oss, the Netherlands, and will grow from 80 to 120 employees by the end of this year. We are working to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of blood cancer. Together with our colleagues of AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, San Francisco, Boston (US), Gothenburg (SE) and Cambridge (UK) we are committed to innovative drug discovery and development, especially in the field of haematological oncology.
Acerta Pharma has received approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for its small molecule BTK inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines to treat haematological malignant diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and motivation letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Maaike Willems) can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.