Computational Chemist (PhD) (new position)
As an experienced Computational Chemist, you will discover and develop novel small molecule drug candidates in the field of oncology with access to state-of-the-art computational methods (including FEP and AI) and lead generation capabilities.
You will be the lead of this discipline at Acerta Pharma and be an integral part of the global Computational Chemistry community at AstraZeneca.
You will support and drive discovery projects from early exploratory stage to clinical candidate stage working closely with chemistry, pharmacology, biophysics and structural biology teams. Since this is a new position within Acerta Pharma you have the opportunity to shape and build it!
We offer the opportunity to make an important impact and contribution to finding potential new life-saving medicines within the field of oncology. We all work for the same goal! Do you want to be part of this?
Computational Chemist (PhD) (new position)
As an experienced Computational Chemist, you will be a leading member of multiple medicinal chemistry design teams. You will be responsible for setting and delivering on computational and medicinal chemistry strategies, to impact project success at all stages from drug target identification through to clinical candidate nomination.
What will you be doing?
• You will carry out structure- and ligand-based design and data analysis, extracting insight from large proprietary structural biology and SAR data sets.
• You will work closely with scientists from other disciplines at Acerta Pharma and AstraZeneca including structural biology, biophysics, ADME/DMPK and safety sciences as part of the wider drug discovery project teams.
• You will present your work regularly to peers and senior stakeholders.
• You will show interactive communication and scientific drive within the project teams, directly engaging with, advising and influencing other discipline representatives within the team to drive project delivery.
• You will help to create a vibrant and entrepreneurial environment focused on innovation & project delivery.
• You will identify new computational technologies that could benefit drug discovery, and investigate these through internal and external collaboration.
What do you bring?
• You hold a PhD in Chemistry/Computational Chemistry with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience working as a computational chemist on predominantly small molecule drug discovery projects in a Pharmaceutical or Biotech setting (must haves).
• You have broad experience in structure and ligand-based design, data analysis and property prediction.
• You bring a passion for drug discovery and an excellent understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts.
• You are an innovative problem-solver, with a track record of impacting drug project delivery.
• You have good communication and networking skills. In addition you are proactive and result driven.
• You have a track record of scientific visibility through publications e.g. papers, patents and/or conference talks.
• Fluent in English.
You already live in the Netherlands or you are open to relocate to the Brabant, Utrecht or Gelderland region.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference to patient’s lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a positive working environment.
• The opportunity to further develop yourself, e.g. to a position with even more responsibility.
• The possibility to work together with your international colleagues in the UK, US and Sweden from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to an indefinite period after one year.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists at Acerta Pharma and at the same time a member of the computational chemistry community at AstraZeneca. Together we can make a difference in patients’ lives. The working environment is pleasant, dynamic and informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal!
At our international headquarters in Oss, over 60 colleagues are working hard to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of (blood) cancer. Together with our colleagues at our American subsidiary in San Francisco, we are committed to innovative drug research and development, especially in the field of hematological oncology.
We work closely with AstraZeneca, which acquired a majority stake in Acerta Pharma in February 2016. In the meantime, we have approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for our treatment for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines with small molecules and biologic drugs to treat certain oncological diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Cynthia Smit) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.