Biochemistry Scientist (HLO/Bachelor or Master level)
The Biology Team at Acerta Pharma in Oss is growing!
Are you an experienced Biochemistry and Profiling Scientist with a positive mindset and > 5 years of experience running biochemical assays for testing small molecules? Would you like to be part of our growing team and organization, and grow with us to the next level by supporting our discovery of new medicines for treating hematologic diseases?
Are you detail-oriented, love working in the lab, and a true team player?
In this role, you will play a key role in our Discovery projects and work together with our (international) colleagues from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
Biochemistry Scientist (HLO/Bachelor or Master level)
Fulltime (40 hours)
As a Biochemistry Scientist in the Discovery group, you will play an integral role in the Biology and Translational Science department in Oss. Alongside this, you will have contact with colleagues in the Hematology and Early Oncology groups of AstraZeneca in Cambridge (UK) and Boston (USA). Using your knowledge and experience in diverse techniques, such as enzymology (kinetics), protein-protein interactions, biochemistry, and cellular assays, you know the best techniques to use to answer key questions in the profiling of small molecules.
The right candidate is of great importance for the successful expansion of the Discovery group at the Oss location.
What will you be doing?
• Technical proficiency to develop and optimize primary (and secondary) screens to support drug discovery efforts.
• Execute mid-range screens using compounds for drug/target discovery.
• Independently analyze data, draw conclusions, and present data reports/presentations.
• Manage multiple projects at once, working cross-functionally in a highly collaborative team environment with interdisciplinary scientists from Acerta Pharma and AstraZeneca.
• Critically assess data to ensure high quality reporting within Acerta Pharma, and accurate documentation in electronic lab notebook(s).
• Assess and implement emerging technologies to improve performance and serve as a functional area expert.
What do you bring?
• Bachelor’s (HLO) in Life Sciences with a minimum of 5 years relevant research experience in pharmaceutical industry (must have) OR
• Master’s in Life Sciences, Biomedical Sciences or equivalent study with a minimum of 3 years relevant research experience in pharmaceutical industry (must have). (Please note that PhD level is overqualified!).
• A strong foundation in biochemistry techniques relating to enzymology, protein-protein interactions, and biochemical assays (must have).
• Experience in executing biochemical plate-based assays (including but not limited to: FP, HTRF, AlphaScreen, Lanthascreen) (must have).
• Adaptability and ability to rapidly learn new techniques.
• Takes ownership of tasks and problems. Pro-actively troubleshoots and provides solutions.
• Ability to accurately analyze and report data in a timely manner.
• Excellent communication skills and ability work well in a collaborative environment.
• Good understanding of English, Dutch is advantageous.
• Currently living/based the Netherlands (must have).
“Nice to Haves”:
• Experience in cell-based assays (e.g. cell live/dead assays) is advantageous.
• Ability to handle large datasets. Experience with associated data analysis software.
• Experience in training colleagues in screening techniques.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patients' lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere!
• The possibility to work together with colleagues from chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma.
• Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to a permanent contract after one year.
The Discovery Team is part of the Biology and Translational Science department in Oss. You will be part of an inclusive environment where knowledge is shared, experiences are impactful, and talent is grown to accelerate innovative science. You will be part of a growing Discovery team that can make a difference in patients’ lives. We all work towards the same goal, to follow the science and put the patients first!
At our international headquarters in Oss, over 60 colleagues are working hard to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of (blood) cancer. We are committed to innovative drug research and development, especially in the field of hematologic oncology.
We work closely with AstraZeneca, which acquired a majority stake in Acerta Pharma in February 2016. In the meantime, we have approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for our treatment for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines with small molecules and biologic drugs to treat certain oncological diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders or Caroline van Oppen) can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.