(Associate) Scientist Chemistry
As an (Associate) Scientist Chemistry (new position) you will join our Medicinal Chemistry team of more than 30 chemists. You will work in the lab and like to purify and analyse new compounds, being part of a team that discovers and develops novel small molecule based therapies for haematological cancers.
Acerta Pharma in Oss, the Netherlands, is a European R&D center of the AstraZeneca group. As part of the significant expansion of our research activities in the Netherlands, we are in the process of building a new research center in Pivot Park with state-of-the-art research laboratories, delivery date Q1 2024.
You will be part of a growing team of medicinal chemists who can make a difference in patient’s lives. The atmosphere is informal, with a good team spirit and the willingness to share knowledge/experience. We all work for the same goal! The team is looking forward to welcoming a new energetic, inquisitive and hands-on colleague.
Do you live in The Netherlands and are you interested in this role? Please read on.
(Associate) Scientist Chemistry
Pivot Park, Oss, Netherlands
As an (Associate) Scientist Chemistry you will work with and support your colleagues in the chemistry labs to improve and maintain our efficiency in organic synthesis. While reporting to our Senior Separation Scientist you will work independently on the purification and analysis of new molecules, contributing to the progress of our projects towards clinical development. Together with your colleagues, you ensure that the analytical / purification laboratory remains optimally operational and safe. And importantly: you enjoy carrying out this work on a daily basis!
What will you be doing?
• Your main task is to purify and analyse new bioactive compounds, using state-of-the-art separation techniques. In doing so, you will independently develop chromatographic methods for the best purification and analysis of new molecules.
• You take an active part in overseeing our analytical / purification laboratory, making sure the instruments are up and running and maintained reliably.
• You will assist in solving routine and non-routine technical problems, such as maintaining equipment in the lab.
• You will actively participate in regular AZ wide meetings where analytical and organizational / operational questions are discussed.
What do you bring?
• Completed HLO study (Hoger Laboratorium Onderwijs), HBO-Chemistry (Bachelor level) or Master Chemistry with organic and / or analytical chemistry as a specialism (or equivalent). Candidates who bring a PhD level are overqualified for this role.
• Minimum of 2 years practical experience with analytical chemistry / separation techniques in the field of organic chemistry, ideally including the use of UPLC/LC-MS, preparative chromatography, SFC, chiral separations.
• Alternatively, you have significant experience in the field of synthetic Organic Chemistry including extensive experience in purification of final small molecules and a high interest in specializing further in this area.
• Fluent in English, speaking and writing.
• Good communication skills.
• Additional attributes: affinity to and satisfaction in working with sophisticated technical instruments, problem solving attitude, team player, eager to learn, able to pick things up quickly, work accurately and neatly, pro-active.
• You are already living in the Netherlands or already have set plans to move to the Netherlands within daily travel distance to our offices in Oss.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative and international working environment. You will be part of the development of new medicines that can make a difference in patient’s lives.
• The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere.
• The possibility to work together with colleagues from chemistry departments in the UK and US from AstraZeneca.
• Good primary & secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis plus office closure between X-mas and New Year + Good Friday. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme.
• Personal budget which can be used for vitality, home office equipment, sustainability or personal development.
• We offer you a one-year contract with the intention of extending this to a permanent contract after one year.
Our international headquarters is located at the Pivot Park in Oss, the Netherlands, where we are in the process of building a new research center with state-of-the-art research laboratories for 140 researchers. Together with our colleagues of AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, San Francisco, Boston (US), Gothenburg (SE) and Cambridge (UK) we are committed to innovative drug discovery and development in the field of haematological oncology.
Acerta Pharma has received approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for its small molecule BTK inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are closely collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines to treat haematological malignant diseases.
How to apply:
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Maaike Willems) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 - 047 0244.
Acquisition by recruitment and selection agencies is not appreciated.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.