Senior Director Data Science - R&D Oncology
At AstraZeneca,we work together to deliver innovative medicines to patients across global boundaries. We make an impact and findsolutionsto challenges. We do this with integrity, even in the most difficult situations,because we are committed to doing the right thing.
The Machine Learning and AI team in AstraZeneca’s Oncology Data Science & Analytics group is where we develop and apply sophisticated algorithms and techniques to solve the hardest problems in oncology drug discovery and development. The team uses their scientific, quantitative, and problem-solving skills to work on a broad range of challenges across the whole oncology portfolio, working collaboratively with other scientists across a range of disciplines to scope, define, and deliver projects that advance the state of the art in data science, accelerate the delivery of innovative medicines to patients, and improve the outcomes experienced by patients worldwide.
As a Senior Director, Data Science you will play a key role in this rapidly growing team working to extract insight from complex biomedical data. You will be responsible for leading and directing a team focused on developing cutting-edge quantitative solutions to our most challenging problems in the digital health space.You will not only provide advanced technical leadership, guiding research and applications of quantitative methods, but will also provide direct supervision, mentorship, support, guidance, oversight, project management and recruitment of your team.
Examples of projects the team works on include machine learning models for developing digital biomarkers, patient risk stratification for clinical trials, new algorithms for survival analysis, approaches to quantitatively analyse wearable data, linking of medical imaging data with ‘omics and longitudinal outcomes to identify and/or validate new drug targets, and much more!
- Provides advanced data science expertise to cross-functional AstraZeneca projects and drives delivery of advanced data science solutions.
- AstraZeneca-wide leadership in one or more area of data science and machine learning.
- Develops novel quantitative solutions where off-the-shelf methodologies do not fit.
- Leads 5-10 person data science projects with cross-functional teams or impact.
- Independently proposes and drives new data science projects that add significant value to AstraZeneca.
- Drives development and adoption of new tools and methodologies within AstraZeneca.
- Drives the application of rigorous data science within AstraZeneca.
- Leads academic / cross-industry collaborations to advance the state of the art.
- Coaches/mentors within AstraZeneca to drive the development of data science as an AstraZeneca capability.
- Publishes work to ensure that AstraZeneca drives the data science agenda in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Develops best practice to ensure that data science work is delivered to robust quality standards.
- Ensures own work is compliant within Clinical Development and other areas as applicable.
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment with world leading clinicians, data scientists, biological experts, statisticians and IT professionals
- Recruits and leads a world-class team of quantitative experts.
- Maintains an external profile as an expert in one or more machine learning/data science areas.
- Deputize for Head, Machine Learning & AI where necessary.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.