MSL, Carolinas, Georgia and Virginia
This is what you will do:
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is field-based scientific expert that strategically supports the medical and scientific objectives of Alexion’s product/s across the product/s life cycle. The individual is a peer scientific expert who communicates accurate and applicable science to Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) within a geographic area. The individual manages and maintains collegial and professional relationships with KOLs and identifies and facilitates collaboration opportunities with Alexion. The individual combines strong business acumen and clinical expertise and serves as a peer-to-peer liaison internally and externally.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining peer-to-peer collaborations with key medical experts in TA Area within the assigned region and become recognized as a consultant on Alexion therapeutic area/s
- Identifying and executing collaboration opportunities between expert KOLs in hematology/nephrology and Alexion medical affairs and clinical development such as publications, investigator-initiated trials, regional advisory boards, training, and speaker development programs
- Serving as scientific peer-to-peer resource to TA Area disease experts. Educate the medical community with up-to-date medical and scientific information and exhibit robust disease expertise and product information.
- Communicating experts’ opinion, feedback on new data and clinical trends to Alexion Medical Affairs, TA Area franchises and translate this information into strategic recommendations to enhance science and advance patient care
- Ensuring that medical and scientific data presented at Ad Board are accurate and well balanced and effectively present this data to attendees. Ensure that physician experts are fully trained on speaker presentations, all questions are accurately addressed, and references are provided upon request
- Responding to unsolicited medical information requests in the region, managing questions, liaising with headquarters to ensure proper response has been provided and ensure that data is fair and balanced
- Providing input into investigator-initiated research objectives and serve as a champion for proposals submitted. Serve as point-person and conduit for respective projects
- Acting as MSL lead for clinical initiatives including site identification, trial recruitment and presentation of final approved data
- Assisting in the development of government affairs and managed care presentations, act as a trainer to the MSL team for presentation delivery and be able to deliver presentations effectively
- Communicating and educating Alexion internal customers on local initiatives on disease and treatment guidelines in a timely manner
- Serving as an Alexion-internal expert in TA Area demonstrating up-to-date and high-level therapeutic expertise. Train Alexion staff on key scientific and medical topics in TA Area
- Maintaining compliance and acting as a resource on all internal and external legal and regulatory guidelines
- Other duties as requested
You will need to have:
- MD, PharmD, or PhD in biological sciences strongly preferred
- Clinical experience in the specific therapeutic area the candidate is applying to OR track record of success as an MSL that can be referenced, can be substituted for a formal degree
- Substantial industry experience or equivalent (>5 years) preferred
- Robust and current experience in the therapeutic areas relating to recently launched and marketed biologics/ therapies
- Candidates must have well-established networks and active relationships with TA Area focused KOLs
- Candidate should have excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Energetically embraces responsibilities, demonstrates ability to achieve goals
- Has a strong personal initiative, and functions well as part of a cross-functional team
- Exhibits excellent time management and able to work independently
- Demonstrates leadership skills and high-level job competencies
- Office is home based. Travel within region 3-4 days per week with 1-2 office days per week
- Required travel to medical meetings, team meetings and other group meetings (will require some weekends –possible 6 /year)
- Candidate is required to live within the territory with which they liaise
- The duties of this role are generally conducted in a field environment. As is typical of a field-based role, employees must be able, with or without an accommodation to travel by public transportation, automobile, train, or plane; work comfortably in a clinical setting; use a computer; engage in communications via phone, video, and electronic messaging; problem solve; engage in complex and non-linear thought, analysis, and dialogue; collaborate with others; maintain general availability during standard business hours.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.