Medical Science Liaison Manager Hematology & Nephrology - Süddeutschland
Field-Based, South Germany (München, Regensburg, Nürnberg, Stuttgart, Ulm, Mainz, Heidelberg, Saarbrücken und Freiburg)
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based scientific expert that strategically supports the medical and scientific objectives of Alexion’s scientific platform and product/s across the product/s life cycle. He/she is a peer scientific expert who communicates accurate and applicable scientific and medical information to Healthcare Practitioners (HCPs) within a geographic area. In addition, the MSL manages and maintains collegial and professional relationships with HCPs and identifies and facilitates collaboration opportunities with Alexion. The MSL combines strong business acumen and clinical expertise and serves as a peer-to-peer liaison internally
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise in the field of adult and pediatric hematology and nephrology, and adjacent specialties (e.g. hemostaseology, intensive care) especially in areas which affect Alexion and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of and appropriately implement current local pharmaceutical regulation in conjunction with Pharmaceutical Affairs and ensure implementation of Alexion policies and procedures.
- Support the development and drive implementation of a local Medical Affairs Plan and strategy, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives
- Support and implement the Brand and Affiliate Company Strategy to ensure that accurate and comprehensive scientific information concerning our products and therapeutic areas is available to decision makers and healthcare provider’s e.g. attend field-based calls alongside commercial colleagues, where Medical Affairs expertise is required
- Work closely with the Affiliate leadership to identify and address staff training needs. Conduct and provide medical leadership to training programs for the commercial teams and other functions, in line with local and global strategy and applicable regulations
- Coordinate the timely and appropriate response to internal and external Medical Information enquiries, utilizing global medical information resources and in line with local regulatory requirements
- Drive the identification, development and alignment with Key Opinion Leaders, other important customers and stakeholders, including professional organizations.
- Deliver quality medical education presentations in a variety of settings and obtain valuable feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization e.g. Staff Meetings, Round Tables, Hospital Meeting activities
- Ensure timely and informative scientific/medical exchanges with external customers and internal partners, which accurately reflect scientific data, in accordance with compliance policies and procedures as well as with legal and ethical standards
- Lead the implementation of medical affairs practices to assess new indications, the treating community, patient pathways, diagnostic practice and management strategies in relevant disease areas
- Identify potential investigators in relevant diseases for participation in future clinical research projects and disease registries
- Ensure a close working relationship with all functions in country, including commercial operations, sales and marketing teams
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects to support the business objectives, including Alexion –sponsored and investigator-initiated projects
- In conjunction with clinical operations perform clinical study feasibility and support effective study implementation.
- Support the implementation of the local publication plan, aligned with local and Global strategy and in conjunction within country functions and international medical Affairs team, to ensure widespread data dissemination and local data generation, including congress abstracts, publications, case studies.
- Attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence, assist personal education, ensuring to utilize these opportunities to develop relationships with important customers
- Minimum 5 years Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical field experience preferably in the rare disease area
- Prior experience as either an MSL or sound experience in scientific sales a must.
- Proven track record of relationship development in the industry.
- Proven ability and experience to present complex scientific data
- Previous experience in an rare or ultra-rare disease environment a distinct advantage.
- Experience within Hematology and/or Nephrology would be ideal
- Prior exposure to complex matrix organizations or experience working as part of a virtual team is a plus.
- Microsoft Office experience essential (exposure to databases an advantage)
- Highly articulate and persuasive during formal and informal presentations; able to convey complex scientific ideas fluently to any audience
- Self-starter. Works independently. Sees where they can add value and develops ideas.
- Capacity to work effectively on multi–disciplinary teams in order to achieve desired outcomes-exceptional team player!
- Positive attitude during challenging situations
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Relevant life-science degree ( Master or Diploma)
- Fluent in German and English, both spoken and written