Senior Automation Engineer - Mt. Vernon - Global Operations
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s outstanding skills with those of people from all over the globe.
The Mt. Vernon site was established in 1972 and is the flagship site delivering innovative, life changing oral solid medicines. At the site we formulate and pack OSD tablets, capsules, powders and liquids to over 60+ markets. The Mt Vernon site is the largest AZ production site in the US and is located in the southwest corner of the state of Indiana, approximately 15 miles from Evansville, Indiana – the third largest city in the state of Indiana. The Mt. Vernon site is dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration. We host yearly Inclusion and Diversity conferences and have an employee resource group devoted to promoting diversity and inclusion and enhancing employees' professional development through interactive and engaging events and initiatives.
The Senior Automation Engineerprovides technical project delivery across a portfolio of Automation and MES systems and provides lifecycle and change management for systems/equipment in own area of expertise.
Mt. Vernon, IN is an Oral Solid Dosage manufacturing facility with multiple formulation and packing unit operations running three shifts. This role will provide troubleshooting support, software changes and capital project involvement for control systems in the manufacturing and facilities areas. Off hours on-call support is required for this position.
What you’ll do:
- Contributes to the development and implementation business strategies related to Automation, Facilities, and MES Systems and implement systems, servers, and networks in accordance with IT Policies and Guidelines for Cyber-security and architecture.
- Lead project activities including interactions with equipment vendors, system integrators, and contracted personnel to implement projects involving Automation, Facilities, and MES systems to meet quality and technical standards.
- Serves as domain specialist for automation systems during internal audits and regulatory inspections.
- Partners with Process Execution Teams to prioritize and implement modifications and upgrades to improve quality and operational efficiency of existing systems.
- Provide business hours and on-call support for manufacturing automation and MES systems in coordination with Maintenance Technicians and Ops IT.
- Perform periodic maintenance, testing, backups, security reviews and updates of applicable SOP’s related to Automation and MES systems and support the Facilities group by leading site wide building automation and utility control systems. Including lifecycle management, capital projects and maintenance support.
- Initiate and review change proposals as required. Develop and execute software test protocols to support GMP compliant systems and monitor system hardware and software components for obsolescence and prepare cost estimates to support business case development for remediation.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferably in Engineering, Computer Science or other related field.
- Minimum five years’ experience in Automation Engineering, IT or related field.
- Project management experience and proficiency desired.
- Experience implementing or supporting computerized systems in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work and communicate within a global, culturally diverse, and fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred for the role:
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is desired.
- Sound understanding of Good Manufacturing Practice, Safety, Health and Environment and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of validation and qualification principles, project management, and change control principles. PMP certification desired.
- Experience with Rockwell Automation products and Wonderware SCADA, Building Automation Systems (Delta V, Honeywell, Metasys) and Serialization systems.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being ambitious - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this great opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.