Senior Scientist-Associate Principal Scientist in Solution State NMR spectroscopy
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven bio-pharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have an outstanding workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express varied perspectives and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for a solution-state Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopist to join our Global Product Development team in Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D), Macclesfield, UK.
PT&D turns innovative drug candidates into medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines; from supplies used in clinical trials, to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled up for commercial manufacture.
In Global Product Development, you will be a key member of a team responsible for the development of analytical characterization and NMR solution-state spectroscopy techniques for a range of drug projects which may include small and medium sized molecules including oligonucleotides and peptides.
You will bring a strong understanding of the application of NMR solution-state spectroscopy to large molecules to enable characterization and understanding of complex drug products to be developed. The role will work cross functionally with multiple internal and external interfaces (Manufacturing, Chemical and Formulation Development, Regulatory, Quality Assurance and Academia), supporting drug projects from the early clinical phase through to commercial filings.
You will be part of a team of NMR specialists providing advanced solution-state NMR spectroscopy support to AstraZeneca, Macclesfield, with a focus on the application of solution-state NMR to the development of Pharmaceutical products.
We would like you to provide scientific contribution which impacts across all development projects, which may include small and medium sized molecules (e.g. oligonucleotides or peptides).
You will help to drive the development of solution-state NMR spectroscopy by identifying, championing and developing new scientific ideas and ways of working.
We would like you to provide scientific training or technical mentoring to scientists to enable them to optimally meet their project objectives!
We will look to you to provide disciplinary scientific leadership and present work through regulatory submissions, publications in peer reviewed journals, internal and external lectures.
You will work in accordance with Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) guidelines, quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GMP).
- PhD in NMR spectroscopy
- You will have a reputation for creativity and expertise in developing solution-state NMR methodologies
- Postgraduate industrial experience, typically in Pharmaceutical R&D).
- We would like you to have a validated ability to solve complex scientific problems
- You will have significant experience in the advanced operation of Bruker solution-state NMR spectrometers.
- You will have experience of technical supervision, coaching and mentoring or leading small teams of people or scientific projects.
- You will have evidence of good communication skills and of building good relationships with customers.
- You are developing an international reputation as a recognised authority in solution-state NMR with a strong record of publishing.
- Do you have a good understanding of the overall drug development process from discovery through to post-launch?
- You have experience of working within a GxP environment.
- Experience of the Linux operating system.
- Be able to apply advanced solution-state NMR spectroscopy to the characterization of medium sized molecules, e.g. oligonucleotides or peptides.
- You have experience of working with external collaborators (academic or vendors)
Apply now to learn more about this exciting opportunity with a world-renowned pharmaceutical brand!
- Career level: D\E depending on experience and skills as assessed at interview
- Salary and benefit package - competitive
- Position open: 28/11/2019
- Close date: 29/12/2019
- Location: Macclesfield, UK.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.