At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve. We need great people who share our passion for science and business and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world.
We pride ourselves on our ethical approach to business both in the way that we work internally and the way we interact with the suppliers that support our business. Delivering life-changing medicines is about doing the right thing – ensuring that our standards are upheld, and our business is protected through managing risks effectively across our supply chains.
The challenge is to deliver outstanding value, not only by actively managing spend to ensure focus on the resources and the discovery of innovative new medicines, but to help enable the business by adding broader business insight and best practice value through innovative procurement practices.
The Procurement strategic aim is best summarised as “Delivering value to AstraZeneca, by being the partner of choice to the business and our suppliers through external insight and world class innovative sourcing solutions.”
AstraZeneca’s apprenticeship scheme offers you a unique opportunity to learn within a multi-national company gaining transferable skills whilst working closely alongside industry experts and professionals. Our Global Strategy and actions have been recognised by being shortlisted for categories in the world procurement leaders’ awards numerous times over the last four years. The workplace experience acquired during your apprenticeship will ensure you develop the skills to provide good prospects for full term positions within AstraZeneca and in procurement functions within broader industries and companies.
In addition to gaining valuable working experience you will have the opportunity to study towards professional qualifications whilst earning a competitive salary. You will be supported throughout your apprenticeship by mentors and managers committed to developing your full potential within AstraZeneca.
The apprenticeship programme commences in September with one apprentice located at each of our procurement hubs in the UK, Macclesfield and Cambridge. During the program you will be studying for a CIPS Level 4 Diploma in Procurement and Supply. https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/commercial-procurement-and-supply-formerly-public-sector-commercial-professional/
You will be working with procurement professionals managing a wide range of categories all of which have a pivotal role in driving the competitive advantage of AstraZeneca as a company.
During this 2-year program, you will have the opportunity to experience the full procurement lifecycle including building a category strategy, sourcing and contracting, managing supplier performance and driving continuous improvement whilst also enhancing the skills and behaviours needed for success.
So, in one rotation you might be searching for the right supplier to manufacture a new diagnostic device; you may then work with an established provider to review the ways of working to look for opportunities to automate processes, reduce operating costs or expediate timelines. All in a truly global environment.
Whichever role you perform, you will:
- Build knowledge of your category area & the customer area(s) you are working with
- Have an important, contributing role in the team
- Drive your own development, through formal learning and/or experience
- Be able to build core skills, such as presenting, influencing, stakeholder engagement & management etc.
- Maintain a strong peer network with your fellow apprentices & our other Early Talent employees
- Have the opportunity to get involved in activities that benefit society and our local areas, such as charity fundraising, helping school leavers decide on their next steps, building exposure of technology to students etc.
- Benefit from working in diverse, global company where we value and embrace the advantage true diversity can bring to a workplace…you may even get the opportunity to visit your colleagues in other countries
Training and Development
You will be supported on a day to day basis with:
- Opportunities to apply your learning in the workplace
- Time out to attend university and study (during study leave)
- Focussed objectives and goals for the duration of your time in role
- Further development to support broader learning
- Time with your line manager, mentor, buddy and Early Talent network
Skills and Capabilities
We would be looking for the following attributes from our successful applicants:
- A strong desire to learn
- Great communication and influencing skills
- A curious attitude
- Business insight
- Interest in data analysis and interpretation
- Quick and agile thinker
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Strong organisation skills
- Demonstrable initiative
- Minimum of 96 points at A-level (Grades CCC) or an equivalent. In addition, Maths and English a minimum 4 and a further 3 at 9-4 GCSE’s (or equivalent qualifications)
To apply for this position, please click the apply link below.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements
Opening date of advert: 3rd January 2020
Closing date of advert: 19th March 2020
This is a Fixed Term Contract opportunity based at Macclesfield and Cambridge with a competitive salary on offer
Successful candidates will be notified after the closing date and will be asked to attend an Assessment day on 22nd April 2020 in Cambridge
If you share our passion for scientific excellence, find out more at careers.astrazeneca.com
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above – for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details https://careers.astrazeneca.com/students
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.