Scientist Flu BPD
Associate Scientist II –Scientist Flu BPD
Salary & Benefits Competitive
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality!
Located at AstraZeneca’s site in Liverpool, you will be only a short distance from the historic and vibrant city centre. Liverpool has something for everyone, whether you’re into live music, art galleries or museums filled with local history.
The influenza biopharmaceutical development department in Liverpool is responsible for research and development on the live attenuated influenza vaccine. Within the department, the virology team is accountable for developing live attenuated influenza vaccine candidates by reverse genetics technology, as well as advancing our fundamental understanding of LAIV virology. The team supports the commercial vaccine product and provides specialist molecular biology, cell biology, immunology and virology expertise to the organisation.
In this role you will develop optimal candidate vaccine viruses in support of annual vaccination programmes, and contribute to research projects describing key drivers of LAIV mechanism of action and vaccine effectiveness.
Do you have a good understanding of virology or influenza viruses? Can you apply your technical knowledge and expertise to meet project targets in a timely manner? Do you possesses a general understanding of other specialisms within this research area? Do you have a graduate or post-graduate qualification in virology?
- Contributes to the plans and designs of analytical studies and provides general scientific advice on specific topics to the team
- Manages own work, applying technical knowledge and expertise to ensure that agreed targets are met in a timely manner and to agreed quality standards, communicating progress appropriately
- Performs relevant experiments and interprets results based on a standard methodology
- Helps to develop new and innovative techniques and methodologies and draws up relevant investigations
- Assesses and reports data, with little or no mentorship, in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug development
- Discusses and defends the findings of experiments at follow-up meetings, or corresponding forums
- Provides technical instruction to the team and allocates administrative work where possible
- Liaises with colleagues from other disciplines with the purpose of discussing project-related matters, sharing experiences and reporting progress
- Develops own level of proficiency by reading articles, collaborating with peer scientists or through contacts by other internal groups
- Searches for information which may improve research methodology and procedures
- Ensures that work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Education, Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- PhD or Masters in relevant scientific discipline
- Understanding of the principles and concepts associated with own subject/specialist area and an appreciation of the relevant science and literature
- Problem-solving skills related to data analysis
- Understanding of current principles and concepts in own area of work
- Understanding of compliance systems
- Good communication skills
- Understanding of range of disciplines within R&D
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- PhD qualification
- Experience in influenza virus research
Open Date 18/06/2020
Close Date 17/07/2020
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.