Senior Research Scientist in Bioinformatics (Target Identification/Validation)
Our Quantitative Biology team in Gothenburg, Sweden is looking for a Senior Research Scientist in Bioinformatics (Target Identification/Validation) to help us evolve our Next Generation Sequencing analytics. Our focus is to improve patient care by providing insights into human biology through facilitating a discovery of new therapeutics. You will play a key role in supporting, driving and developing multi-omics projects.
If you are a goal driven Senior Research Scientist in Bioinformatics with ability to convert details into holistic information – your next challenge starts here.
Our focus also includes supporting the identification of novel drug targets as well as prioritization of targets within our drug discovery portfolio by providing data analysis solutions to high dimensional biological datasets. We encourage you to join us in our journey to develop novel medicines and improve lives of millions of people worldwide.
The role includes:
- Collaborate effectively with experimentalists and bioinformaticians across the company to develop novel data science approaches to target identification and validation
- Impact, prototype and build analytical pipelines for identifying novel drug targets as well as prioritizing and triaging existing portfolio of targets using computational expertise and domain knowledge
- Ensure and organize effective communication between experimental scientists and computational biologists
- Improve the company's ability to prioritize target selection and portfolio projects based on probability of technical success
- Ensure scientific excellence in software, processes and results as well and be efficient and well documented
We believe you are a skilled Bioinformatician with a consistent track record of delivering analytical solutions for business or academic needs. Your ability to convert details into holistic information by collaborating with colleagues, as well as customers will be of great importance.
We expect you to have:
- PhD or similar research experience in Bioinformatics, Genetics, Computer Science, or alternatively a Biology or Medicine degree with a strong emphasis on data analysis
- Knowledge of human genetics, cell biology and/or a solid understanding of a disease area
- An understanding of in vivo / in vitro model systems, as well as modern approaches to identification and validation of drug targets; an understanding of CRISPR technology
- Fluency in algorithms, approaches and databases for pathway identification and analysis (IPA, MetaBase, Reactome, etc)
- Proven experience in data analysis, management and visualization in at least one of the following core areas: RNA or DNA based omics, statistical genetics, multivariate and/or high dimensional omics integration, single-cell technologies, epigenomics, metagenomics
- Fluency in R, Bioconductor, RMarkdown and related tools
- Proficiency in working in a Linux environment, experience with shell scripting and standard command line tools
- Experience in either Python (Pandas and NumPy stack) or a lower level programming language (C++, Java, etc.)
- Experience with working in an environment focused on pre-clinical drug discovery
- Familiarity with git, conda and tools for reproducible research such as Snakemake or Nextflow
If this sounds like the job and place for you to make a change – apply today and come join our exciting journey!
Welcome with your application no later than 9thof August, 2020.
Why AstraZeneca in Gothenburg?
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Our Gothenburg site: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-science/gothenburg.html
Life in Gothenburg: https://www.movetogothenburg.com/
For more information about the position please contact Hiring Manager, Petr Volkov at +46 31 776 14 78 or email@example.com.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.